Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Things I Learn From my Husband

My husband is a wealth of information when I want to know something that happened down through the years. Tonight I made the comment, "Bless your little pea-pickin heart." Then I was trying to recall who it was that used to say that. I told him not to tell me but to let me think and it would come to me. I thought about it and I could see the man's face and then I told him I thought it was Ernest Tubb. He shook his head and said, "No, it was Tennessee Ernie Ford." He was right too! I had the right face but the wrong name.



History has never been one of my strong points. Not too long ago my husband said he wondered whatever happened to David Eisenhower.

I said, "Who?"

Sometimes my husband is a little bit hard to understand since his last stroke. I asked him if he was talking about our past president Dwight.

He said, "No, his grandson."

Well to be honest, I didn't even know he had a grandson and hadn't ever given it any thought before. So I googled him and learned that he married Richard Nixon's daughter Julie. I also learned that his grandfather, former President Dwight D. Eisenhower named Camp David after his grandson. I never knew where that name for Camp David had come from until then.

It also said that today he is a professor and public policy fellow at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, author, and co-chair of the Foreign Policy Research Institute's History Institute for Teachers.




Amazing what I can learn from my husband!

*****************************************
Someone sent me this in an e-mail and I thought I'd share some here.


The following excerpts are actual answers given on history tests.


Ancient Egypt was old. It was inhabited by gypsies and mummies who all wrote in hydraulics. They lived in the Sarah Dessert. The climate Of the Sarah is such that all the inhabitants have to live elsewhere.


Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea where they made unleavened bread, which is bread made without any ingredients. Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandos. He died before he ever reached Canada but the commandos made it.


The Greeks were a highly sculptured people and without them we wouldn't have history. The Greeks also had myths. A myth is a young female moth.



Socrates was a famous old Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. He later died from an overdose of wedlock Which is apparently poisonous. After his death, his career suffered a Dramatic decline.


In the first Olympic games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled biscuits, and threw the java. The games were messier then than they show on TV now.


Joan of Arc was burnt to a steak and was canonized by Bernard Shaw for reasons I don't really understand. The English and French still have problems.


Queen Elizabeth was the "Virgin Queen," As a queen she was a success. When she exposed herself before her troops they all shouted "hurrah!" and that was the end of the fighting for a long while.

Sir Walter Raleigh is a historical figure because he invented Cigarettes and started smoking.



The greatest writer of the Renaissance was William Shakespeare. He was born in the year 1564, supposedly on his birthday. He never made much money and is famous only because of his plays. He wrote tragedies, comedies, and hysterectomies, all in Islamic pentameter.


Writing at the same time as Shakespeare was Miguel Cervantes. He Wrote Donkey Hote. The next great author was John Milton. Milton wrote Paradise Lost Since then no one ever found it.


Delegates from the original 13 states formed the Contented Congress. Thomas Jefferson, a Virgin, and Benjamin Franklin were two singers of the Declaration of Independence. Franklin discovered electricity by Rubbing two cats backward and also declared, "A horse divided against itself cannot stand." He was a naturalist for sure. Franklin died in 1790 and is still dead.

13 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Good story about your husband. It actually made me smile quite bit. Hope he is doing well.
The history quotes are pretty funny. The one, "Franklin discovered electricity by Rubbing two cats backward and also declared, "A horse divided against itself cannot stand." Hard to believe you can have two mistakes in one sentence.
Ralph

8:36 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'm pretty good at history myself. But, I knew very little of this. I'm going to bookmark this post because I love to throw in little tidbits when I'm teaching.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

All I can say about those answers to the history tests is OH.MY.GOD.

My favorite? A myth is a female moth.

9:47 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have always been suspicious of these "writings" by kids---I'm not usually suspicious like that, but these kinds of things ALWAYS sound like some Adult Joke writer made them up---They are funny, that's for sure..lol!

I was just looking at this WONDERFUL Book by David Douglas Duncan, (I wrote about bim in my Frence,1969 Posts--GREAT GREAT Photographer...) And this particular book is about the two Conventions--Republican and Democratic---in 1968....Nixon had invited DDD to photograph his two daughters and their then boyfriends, in the suite of the Hotel room, as Nixon was being Nominated....The pictures of Julie and David are quite wonderful---They were definitely more interested in each other than they were in the Convention results...LOL! These pictures were just wonderful, as are ALL the pictures in this book....!

I remember Tennessee Ernie Ford very well....I love that your hubby is such a fund of information for you....lol!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Wonderful bits of fractured history.

Even as a foreigner (Canadian) I knew who David E. was and that he married Julie N. It is nice to know he went on to have a career of his own.

I even remember Tennessee Ernie Ford who made a career out of being quaintly southern.

5:23 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Having taught school for 38 years, let me reassure the skeptics, kids DO write stuff like that - AND WORSE! I have a small book of answers to art history questions that will crack you up!
Thanks for my laugh for today. I needed that!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

That's really interesting about Camp David! I was just in the area of Camp David last weekend for a wedding. I can't wait to go show off my new found knowledge about how the place was named! (Thanks to your husband!)

Those history answers are frightening!

(HUGS)

6:25 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Its very handy to have a resident expert Rachel, you should appreciate him.

2:39 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

It amazes me, the wealth of knowledge some people have. I'm sure you have learned a lot from him over the years.
Yes, kids do say the darndest things! Reminds me of a story that I will post soon. Thanks!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Thanks for that very informative history lesson. I didn't know that Camp David was named by Dwight.

Also love those funnies. I think I know a few college students that would give answers like that don't you?

5:26 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

I had no idea about David or how Camp David got its name so your husband is educating a few of us here.

Btw, I like the sound of "pea-pickin heart." I may use that with the kids and see what they tell me. :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

My husband and son both are history nuts. I got left out in left field when it comes to history. :-) My deceased father-in-law used to ask me history question all the time. He would try to embarraass me, because he knew I wouldn't know the answer. I kinda never did forget that! I'm glad your husband remembers. It's nice to have someone around who knows all those things.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Love those test answers!! Very funny stuff.

Your husband sounds like a wealth of information.
I didn't know that about how Camp David got its name, so you taught me something. Your husband's knowledge is being spread by your blog!!
:-)

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter