Thursday, June 04, 2009

Odds and Ends

I've not been on here much as of lately. I didn't even post my Sunday Sign! I am really behind. Things are about as usual around here. Last week was a tiring one as my hubby had those red spots again, with a fever, and we ended up going to Lexington to the VA Hospital so he could be seen by the dermatologist there. I thought they might take blood work and all that stuff...but no... all they did was take 2 biopsies of the red skin. They also informed us that there was only a 10% chance of it showing anything at all. Not very good odds. The doctor said it would take about 3-4 months before they'll know if it showed anything or not. We got antibiotics and he is fine now with no fever and no red hot spots!

Here is a picture of Jamie Dawn (black cat) and Sir Scarlet (yellow cat). I hate to have to say it but poor Sir Scarlet got hit by a car a couple of weeks ago and is no longer with us. I sure did hate it but I wasn't real surprised. He had a thing for running up on the road too often. Usually the cats just stay away from the road since they know that's where those big monster things whiz by all the time! Sir Scarlet is the one that spent 4 nights locked in my neighbor's garage, so he was using his nine lives quite fast. Now I'm down to 4 cats.









Here it almost looks like Jamie Dawn is giving Skittles a neck massage! Looks like he is enjoying it!


Jamie Dawn looking so cute! She is a sweet cat. She can also be very mischievious! She is also very brave (or crazy). She will fuzz up and hit a raccoon on the head with her paw when the raccoon gets in the cat food. The raccoons just hunker down and take it. I hope she doesn't hit one that isn't so gracious sometime, as raccoons can be mean if they take a notion to be! Usually they leave after she bats them on the head long enough. She uses her paw like it has a spring in it and just keeps whacking them on the head!



Munchie laying in the driveway next to my neighbor's fence. As you can see mowing his lawn is not a priority! He does keep the front mowed better than the back thankfully!





Miss White Lily says that we are boring her and thus turned her back!











Here's my very very late Sunday sign! No, not an early sign, but a late one! During the summer we gets lots of Ohio folks that come down to Lake Cumberland, so locally they are called the "Ohio Navy."














I love this photo of the "bleeding heart." This is the first time I've had this pretty flower.







Some of my bright yellow Coreopsis. From seeds blown around these things spread like crazy.







I hope everyone is having a wonderful week and I'm making the rounds slowly of getting to everyone's blogs to catch up!

19 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am sooooo very sorry to read about Sir Scarlet....That is really very very sad....I love all your pictures Rachel, and especially the one of The Bleeding Hearts. I have always LOVED those Flowers!
Sorry to read about your husbands recurring rash....I audibly said Oh No, when you said the doctors said it would take 3 to 4 months....WHAT??? And that there was only a 10% chance of finding out anything anyway...Lord Help Him!

10:29 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

So sorry to hear about Sir Scarlet. Yes, his nine lives it seems were stretched. I'd be heartbroken if either of my kitties got hurt, but I know it's life. Glad your hubby is better. Hope the spots stay away for a while. I have one flower in my yard that blooms every year and only lasts a few days. I'm anxiously waiting to take a picture of it. It's gorgeous but I haven't a clue what it is. Maybe you can identify it for me when I post it. Have a wonderful weekend!

11:50 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel ~ Trust me! I know the feeling! At least you're not just LAZY! ~ jb///

8:33 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

It's so heartbreaking when cats try to cross roads and don't make it. We have had our share here as our road is like the Indy 500.

Love your bleeding hearts plant. My mom used to have one of those.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi Rachel. That's too bad about Sir Scarlet. I try not to get too attached to the strays in the neighborhood because my heart's been broken so many times when the inevitable happens. I said, "try", not that I succeed.

Yes, life goes on and I don't spend as much time blogging as I used to either.

I hope they can find out what's causing your hubby's rashes and fever soon! We're still trying to find out what's wrong with Lamar's eye as well.

Happy Friday, Rachel! :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

11:18 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Oh so sad about Sir Scarlet. You know his namesake is a bit out of control too so maybe you jinxed him:)

We had FOURTEEN cats show up for breakfast yesterday morning. If you want a couple more, I'll ship them to you.

Hope you hubby is better.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Rachel,

From the comment you left on my blog I got the impression that you were unaware of war cemetaries overseas. It WWI and WWII it was the policy to bury soldiers where they died. As a result there are many war cemetaries overseas. Canada has a War Grave
commission that makes sure our war dead's graves are cared for. The US has a similar organization http://www.abmc.gov/home.php. This being the 65th anniversary of D Day it is worthwhile to visit some of these cemetaries online. I always find it moving and I always learn a little more about the history of these great wars.

Canada lost many soldiers in the Netherlands and Belgium so there are many Canadian cemetaries in these countries. As I mentioned in my blog posting the people of those countries continue to also care for these cemetaries out of gratitude which I find very touching.
The Dutch Royal Family spend the war in Canada and one of the children was born here in a special hospital room designated Dutch Territory for the occasion. Canada was instrumental in liberation the Netherlands so the Dutch and Canadians have a special bond. Over the years millions of tulip bulbs have been sent to Canada by the Dutch so in the Spring of the year Ottawa is spectacular in its tulip gardens.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I am sorry to hear your hubby has the spots and fever again,. It sure seems like the medical profession should have found the cause by now. How frustrating. I wonder if it may be an allergy but I suppose they have already ruled that out.

What a sad end for Sir Scarlet. And he was such a handsome cat too.

I sure got a good chuckle out of your cat batting the coon on the head. You should do a video clip of that and send it to Funniest Home Videos.

I love Bleeding Hearts too. I have some but the weeds have grown up around it. I am in the process of eliminating flower gardens and have to move a lot of plants.
I've never had Coreopsis but think it's beautiful. Maybe next year....here I go again, Trying hard to cut back on garden chores and planning to add more flowers. Will I ever learn!!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Sounds like you have been a bit busy. Hope all is well...glad your husband is feeling better. :)
Hugs.

kendra

2:31 PM  
Blogger EV said...

That's sad about Sir Scarlet. I hope you are doing OK? Hopefully, you've seen the last of your husbands rash, too. Thanx for the photos!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Rachel, sorry to hear about Sir Scarlet... It is hard to loose a cat especially when you have grown so fond of it.

I hope they find out what is causing your husband's hot spots.... It must be very frustrating.

Your flowers are really pretty.... I wish I had a green thumb.. Have a great weekend, Rachel.

12:17 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Thanks for catching us up. The bleeding heart is beautiful. I hope they figure out what is happening with the spots - frustrating!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

How sad that Sir Scarlet is dead. I'm sure it broke your heart, and it breaks mine too. They say curiosity killed the cat, and I guess Sir Scarlet was just too curious and adventuresome when it came to the road.
:-(
Your cats are happy and very cute. They have the best owner who gives them plenty of food and lots of love.
Jamie Dawn is likely to bop the wrong raccoon on the head one of these days and end up in a fight.
Miss Lily White sounds like such a fine southern lady kitty. She is snooty which is why her back was turned to you for that photo.

:-)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

I'm sorry to hear that Sir Scarlet is no longer with us. I was fond of that little kitty.

Your flowers are beautiful, and I sure hope your hubby is feeling better these days.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

So sorry about Sir Scarlet.

The pictures of all your kitties are great. And the flowers, we love them around here, too.

I'm behind, too. The kids are keeping me busy!

Hope your hubby continues to do well on the meds.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Sorry about your kitty. Glad that your hubby is better now, and who knows maybe those tests will show something.

Hope all is well with you and loved your update. The flowers are gorgeous.

Happy Sunday.

Love, Jess

5:21 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Sorry about your cat. The others are all very pretty and so are your flowers. I love that sign and glad you explained it. Have a great week. I sometimes think doctors don't know anything anymore.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great. If you like eating out, these are some great gift cards for McDonald's and Burger King.
I tried them and they really work.




McDonald's vs. Burger King $250 Gift Card




Free McDonald's vs. Burger King $250 Gift Card!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hot if you like eating fast food sometimes. Although I don't recommend eating out a lot but you can still
share them with family members and friends. You can get some free coupons for McDonalds and
Burger King.








[url=http://www.mb01.com/lnk.asp?o=2588&c=918271&a=25678]Eat for Free at McDonalds and Burger King[/url]

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter