Sunday, July 12, 2009

Speeding Along

I was over visiting my neighbors today. We sat around on the back deck and another neighbor walked over. One of them shared the fact that she recently got a speeding ticket on I-75, doing 80 mph when the speed limit is 70 mph. The ticket cost her $183.00. That is a major OUCH! She said it was a motorcycle cop. I didn't even know we had those. Usually if I go up that way on I-75 (which isn't near as often as I'd like BTW), I usually go with the flow and I do speed sometimes. I have never seen a motorcycle cop before, or at least if I saw one I didn't know that's what they were. I think from now on I'll stay more in the law abiding range. With ticket prices like that with only 10 miles over the limit it sure will make this old gal slow down! I didn't ask her if she would get points taken off or not. I know that happens sometimes but I'm not sure of the rules.

The last ticket I got was back in the 70's. One morning as I was coming home (I worked 3rd shift but it was still dark), I got pulled over. Back then the speed limit there was 60 mph. I knew the cop always sat there watching and I was doing 64 mph when I passed him. I figured at 4 mph over the limit he wouldn't stop me. He did. I told him the speed limit was 60 mph and I was doing 64 mph, so why was he stopping me for only 4 mph over the limit? He said I was doing 14 mph over the limit. Huh?? He said the speed limit was 50 mph at night. Well, he gave me the ticket and I drove back to see. Sure enough it was 50! It was one of those signs where it changed after dark from 60 mph to 50 mph! I hadn't noticed it before but I never forgot it afterwards. I don't recall what the fine was.

I have been very fortunate to not get a ticket since then. I am usually pretty cautious here around town and most places I go. But going on the interstate where it seems most everyone is speeding...well I do go with the flow sometimes. I guess next time I go I'll get in the right lane and stick to the speed limit. Because as my church sign below says.....well.....you get the picture!


Sunday Sign

16 Comments:

Blogger Her First Impressions said...

nice blog. sorry about the speeding ticket

7:02 PM  
Blogger scrappingmama said...

Here's a great place to relax in the sun. Don't forget to slow down and enjoy it ;).

7:03 PM  
Blogger lucylocket said...

They don't seem to use those signs that change after dark anymore. I haven't seen one in years.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

When my boys got speeding tickets I was glad. I figured it would slow them down and possible save a life. Maybe their own.
I have had a few but many years ago, At 70, I am more cautious that ever and always stay within the speed limit. Well, almost always.
I always pray before I leave the driveway, asking the Lord to help me be a good driver and protect me from everyone that isn't.

Now I pray for my car too because a few years ago someone smashed my fender when I was parked at the grocery store. They didn't leave a note either and I'm stuck with $1,000. to $1500. in repair bills.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Linda in Erie said...

I got one in my early 20s because I was late for work. It made me a whole lot later and cost me a bundle to boot. I learned my lesson and always go the speed limit unless that makes me a real hazard. On some roads with blind curves everyone tried to pass me and I decided if I was wanting to live a long life, it was safer to "go with the flow."

10:05 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Knock on wood, I have never gotten a speeding tcket. I have never been stopped by a cop either. And I have a very heavy foot. I guess I'm lucky. Now, my husband drives me everywhere. And him being a truckdriver, he has gotten his fair share of speeding tickets, and then some.

10:34 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! THat is a steep fine! I didn't know a ticket cost that much. Actually I have never gotten a speeding ticket, luckily. I got a warning once, but that was it. Better to be safe than sorry....
I like that Church sign, and it is so true.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Great post and the sign goes with it so well. I usually go around the speed limit and everyone tells me I drive too slow. I have been lucky about getting stopped. Thanks for your comments on the healthcare post I made.

7:05 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I haven't had a ticket in years... in my old age, I have decided it just is not worth the few extra minutes you think you save. How often do you catch up to the guy at a red light that passed you a few miles back?
And don't you feel so superior when you pass the smarty pants that whizzed by about 5 miles up the road, and the cop is now writing his ticket? LOL?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

That is a sneaky sign that changes the speed limit after dark. Now you know why the police parked where they did.

One should always go to court over a traffic ticket. Here you can plead "guilt with an explanation" and get a more favourable judgment. Also, there is always the case that the cop will not show up (Here they have to attend court on their own time) in that case you case will be thrown out.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I hope I don't get a ticket. Thats alot of money for such a small speeding ticket. Not sure if I gave you my new site: http://peggysmountainblessings.blogspot.com/

8:56 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Whew, I have been given some wrong information. I heard that the police ignored 5mph over the limit. I also heard recently that a highway patrol trooper said he allowed 12 mph over unless the car had an Obama sticker on it:)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
I never heard of speed limits changing at night - interesting. I got stopped once for going 2 MPH over the speed limit on an isolated rural road. I got out and immediate through my hands up in in the air and started saying (maybe yelling) "2 MPH? 2 MPH?" Not a good thing to do when someone is carrying a gun. Anyway, no ticket just told to slow down. A few miles down the road I told Char I thought the only reason he stopped us was he was about to fall asleep and we were the only car he had seen in an hour.
Good sign and yes, it is true.
Ralph

7:48 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel, you live a charmed life. The70's was way back when!
My last ticket was in the 90's and I had to ask for 'deferred adjudication.' I was a good fellow for the prescribed amount of time and it stayed off my driving record. I did have to pay the fine though, plus a processing fee for the application for deferred adjudication.

I am at the Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center. Karen is in labor and we are all in the 'birthing room.'
I suppose we will have to leave when her contractions get heavy and harder. Right now they are every twenty minutes apart.
Only the doctor and medical staff know if it will be a boy or girl.
I'll post some time tonight when the baby is here. I forgot my adaptor for the memory chip so no pictures until I get back home.

Adi and Katrin are with Son, Mitch, and DIL, Carmen.
..

12:11 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My only speeding ticket was years ago when my kids were really little. We were in MO visiting Keith's family, and I was just coming off the interstate and coming down a hill. I had no idea what the speed limit was, so I didn't even know I was speeding. It made me mad!!
I usually drive close to the speed limit except I do go over it when on the interstate.
I've never even heard of a speed limit changing after dark. YOU should NOT have gotten that ticket!!!!

Have a good rest of your week. I hope all is well.
:-)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter