Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blogging, Hats, and Cats

I hate to say it but I have become a lazy blogger. Well, you had already figured that out by now. Not putting up a post is one thing, but not getting around to reading all my blogging friend's posts makes me feel worse. I don't know what is wrong with me these days. It's like I have the blahs. I know we all get the blahs occasionally, but it seems I've had them non-stop lately. I certainly think about my blogging friends often and wish I could visit each one in person and chat awhile. That would take care of my blahs!!

I don't get to get out too often to do things other than the routine things; grocery, pharmacy, Dollar Store, etc. BUT, last week I went to a luncheon where we were all supposed to wear hats. This was the only hat I had and it matched my red dress. As you can see my hair is short for the summer. This is my nephew's wife with me. She is the one who makes the delicious lovely cakes!


















Here is the cake she made for this occasion. It was an Italian Creme Cake and it was delicous. I normally won't eat anything with coconut in it, but I ate this! Yummy!









I recently had this visitor come through the yard. It was a huge blacksnake. I went out and made a noise and he reversed directions heading away from the house. I do hope he continued in that direction and didn't turn back later! I lost sight of him/her almost immediately in the taller weeds and grass on the other side of our fence.




I now have another cat. Actually 2 more, to make a grand total of eight cats. Yes, I did say EIGHT!


One I found at the back door of the church. It was abandoned there and was meowing loudly at a non-stop pace. It is solid black and the sweetest little thing!! It is so adorable and I named her "Baby." "Baby is a real charmer!!" She's still pretty little and has big eyes and big ears. She is so cute! I don't have a decent photo of her yet.


I also got another cat that is a huge male that has been already neutered. His human mother is in the hospital and she had surgery. Before she went in she was worried that if she died who would care for her cat. I assured her that I would. So she boarded him, but she went to her lawyer and had him willed to me in the event she died. She didn't die from her knee replacement surgery, but she fell a few days after that surgery and broke her hip on the other leg. She called me and said that she wanted me to have him. She said that she didn't think she'd ever be able to care for him. She said she'd pay the boarding bill and for me to get him when I wanted to. So now I have him and he is a handsome big guy, but he's real laid back. This is "Scottie."

No thank you, I don't need any more cats! I'm over my limit now! I now have Miss White Lily, Munchie, Jamie Dawn, Skittles, Scottie, Baby, Little'En, and Billy.

Do you have anything that you are over your limit on?

(I'm going to get around to catching up on everyone's blogs as soon as I can!!)

19 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

Nice hat...delicious looking cake (I love anything with coconut)...beautiful cat.
There for awhile I was not blogging as much either but I was reading other blogs. I guess we go in spurts.
I have 3 cats inside and about 10 outside with 3 new kittens from 2 different litters and the possibility of 5 other kittens. Never a dull moment around here.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Jim said...

You look really good in that red hat and dress. I am glad you can get out when you WANT to. Don't let the blah's keep you down long! I had them just a bit back.

I am still hardly blogging until we get back. We will go see Karen--she started working in London now for at least two years--in less than a month. Then we will take a Baltic cruise July 1 for eleven days and afterwards go to London for another week.

Our Katrin was willed to Mrs. Jim. Her owner changed her will a couple of weeks before she died. She didn't leave money like the $12 million Leona Helmsley left to her dog.
..

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

You inspire me to adopt that orange cat I've always wanted. Since I was a little girl (and didn't know English) when I fell inlove with Morris the Cat and was never allowed to have a cat, I've wanted one. Now I have a tabby cat who is (get this!) 19 years old...and I think it's time to get a kitten back in the house, don'tcha think?? A nice orange kitty?? :)

PS - No pressure w/ blogging. I do it when I can. Sometimes every day, sometimes every two days and sometimes it takes me a while...but I come back to it. Hope you never go away completely.

4:50 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Rachel,

Well, you look pretty cool in your red hat! :) I'm so glad you had a nice outing with friends!

Wow! Eight cats is a lot-I couldn't take care of that many! ( I have 3 ) You're a very kindhearted girl- but we all know that about you!

Have a good spring day!


Hugs))


Junie

6:25 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You have the biggest heart, dear Rachel...EIGHT CATS! Well, Lucky Them.....I know you give them great care and lots of love, my dear.....

You look Smashing in your red dress and your red hat. Very Fetching, my dear.

I understand 'the blahs'....And I am sorry you are suffering with them....Come on by and get cheered up. The first post of my latest Ladies Who Lunch, is up....I think it might cheer you!
HUGS to you and all those very lucky felines!

2:11 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Happy Memorial Day to you and yours, dear Rachel! I've been so busy lately, I haven't had much time for bloggy visits either but I'm determined to get caught up this week:-)

You look gorgeous with your red hat, my dear!! What a fun luncheon that must have been and the cake your nephew's wife made is beautiful!!

Eight cats...no doubt they keep you pretty busy! lol Bless your heart for taking them in and giving them the love and care they deserve. I was feeding a whole bunch of strays but now I'm down to 2 of them, the rest have all been caught and taken in to be neutered/spade and adopted. Wish I could have kept them all!!

Take good care of yourself and hope you're enjoying some beautiful weather! xoxo

12:53 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, I am so glad you came by, dear Rachel. I am always lifyed by your sweet caring comments...Thanks so much, my dear.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, You look beautiful in your red hat and I love the short hair, too. That cake looks so good and so pretty. You little cat family is growing. That black one is so sweet looking. I get tired of blogging, too, and have not been doing it as much lately either. I have so much to do outside with mowing, etc.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well you look mighty spiffy in that outfit R. Good job. The cake looks really good. I only like cake with frosting...unless of course it doesn't have any and then it's still okay.
I'll pass on commenting on the cats. You don't have as many as we do but ours don't know what the inside of the house looks like.
I too hope the snake went away. Do you have any poisonous snakes down there?

6:15 AM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Rachel, I know what you mean about the blogging blahs. I just can't get into keeping up like I once did. Maybe there's too much else to do...like mowing the yard and making strawberry jam. Love you hat. You look nice!

5:23 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Rachel, you look great with your red dress and red hat. Love your new hair style!

The cake looks delicious!

The snake... wow! I fear so much them... She is poisonous?

Eight cats? You really is a lover of cats!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I too have 8 cats. I don't like to mention it on my blog as the last time I did I was taken to task for being an irresponsible pet owner and should go out and have them all neutered right away. Shame on me! If the cheque had been in the mail I might have. It has gotten very expensive to do it around here.

A neighbour fed them outside while I was away in Belgium and so far only 6 have showed up. So maybe two made other arrangements.

Don't beat yourself up for being lazy as a blogger. It happens to everyone once in a while I realize.

6:57 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Welcome back!
I know it is dumb to worry about other bloggers when they "disappear" but I do. On the other hand, sometimes I disappear, too! But, not that it is too hot to work out in the yard all day, maybe I will have more computer time!
I, too, inherited a cat - a BIG fluffy girl kitty, mostly white with a few black spots and a HUGE fluffy tail. We called her FuzzButt. Her owner forgot what her name was... that's one of the many reasons she had to go into a "home." Fuzz was with us for about 8 years and seemed very happy here!
Enjoy your new babies!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Rachel, this is a fantastic post. I don't know how I'm so late getting here. Love your red hat and hair do. That cake is spectacular. Our cat population rises and falls on a regular basis. We usually average 14 but right now we have five. I'm a bit late, but am working on your birthday present:)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well, Rachel, I do believe you might be a lazy blogger. Jerry had claim on that but you might give him a run. His last post was over two months from the prior one.

I might call my cardiologist a lazy doctor. I faxed him sometime about when you posted and haven't heard from anyone yet. Except that my contact went on maternity leave.

Our highway will have four lanes each way (8) and two on each side for feeder (4) for the 12. This is I-45 outside of central Houston by 45 miles to the north. In town they go 6-8 each way and at least 3 for feeder lanes. Those are fun to zip around in.

Behave youself. I will try to catch your update. Thanks for peeking in. We have Amber because of Karen's move to London. Billy, BP, and KP are having visa problems but that should be resolved by July 1. BP will go on a cruise with her Mom and Grandma before she comes. She will live with Karen's and go to the International School there.

Mrs. Jim and I are going to London on the 24th of June and will do a Baltic cruise from July 1-11. Then to London until the 20th. Karen's BDay is the 19th.
..

3:01 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

That is a lot of cats!!!I couldn't afford the vet bills. I hope they all stay well for you.

Your red dres and hat are beautiful! And what a cute cake. It was obviously a very fun time.

8:54 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel,
I know what you mean about the Blogging Blahs - I have them too, but I miss everyone dearly!
Maybe I'll get inspired again soon.

You look beautiful in red. And the cats are lucky to know you!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

That hat looks beutiful on you!

I am over my limit on horses - I have two and it's one too many. No one in my family rides except me.

Scottie is gorgeous - I love the black and white on any animal: cats, horses, cattle, dogs, etc.

You can keep the back snake tho. Gives me the willies.

2:53 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I LOVE your hat! I'm a hat person and love to wear them, even ball caps.
I now have 3 cats. Not willingly. Two was my absolute max, but....I now have 3. I'll have to post the story. Watch for it :)
Don't feel bad, I have been quite remiss in my blogging also. I don't really know why. I enjoy it but just don't get around to it. Don't know what to tell you. Glad you are doing well, and you look wonderful! Take care!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter