Sunday, March 28, 2010

Comedy by the Roadside

A friend of mine has a grown daughter that just never learned to drive and she is somewhat handicapped, so her Mom takes her wherever she needs to go. She goes occasionally to SE KY to see a doctor there. Her daughter also takes her little dog, a Poodle/Maltese mix, with them. On this particular trip they had car trouble before they got to the doctor's office. They got out of the car and her daughter was on her cell phone calling 911 to see about getting help. Her mother had sat down on a rock by the road and was holding the dog in her lap.
Well, this is in SE KY where there are plenty of coal trucks. A coal truck came over the hill and it backfired about the time it passed by them. If you have ever heard a backfire from a vehicle it sounds just like a shotgun blast. When this happened it scared them both, and her daughter screamed into the phone and her mother screamed too. The screaming and the backfiring scared the little dog and it peed in her lap. Meanwhile the 911 dispatcher on the other end of the phone heard the blast and the screaming and was shouting, "What's going on? Are you okay?? What's happening?"
Finally they got a wrecker to come out and tow them in. He towed them to the doctor's office first and looked at the car there. She said that the whole drive in with him they had to hear all about his problems.
Well, the car got fixed (or so they thought) and they left there and headed home. In London, KY the car died again. They called someone to come get them and he drives a small pickup. So my friend had to ride in the middle over a console thing for 30+ miles and it wasn't very comfortable at all. They had the car towed back here to a garage. My friend was not pleased with the trip and couldn't find any humor in it at all.
However, as she was telling it to me I thought it was totally funny, especially with the backfiring and the dog peeing on her lap and how the 911 person reacted too! It's not funny that they had car problems but the rest I thought was funny!!
I do hope everyone had a nice Easter Sunday and celebrated the resurrection of Jesus. I went to church and then at 2:00 in the afternoon I went to my neighbor's home where they had quite a feast going on, and I had been invited. Lots of good food and nice folks to chat with!
My Late Sunday Sign

13 Comments:

Anonymous Linda in Erie said...

It's never funny when it happens to us but hearing these kind of things happening to others is funny. She'll probably find it funny in the future. At least it makes a good story to tell. It could have been worse. The backfiring truck could have bounced the truck enough to spew coal dust all over them. ( Hum, I've never seen a coal truck, that I know of.)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

It is funny when you can picture it all happening in your mind! hehe After the second time the car breaking down, I think I would have just sat there and cried. lol That dispatcher must have thought there was a shooting going on!!! I'm sure your friend will laugh about it once she's calmed down:-) xoxo

3:53 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Everything was funny except the dog peeing in her lap. Ugh I hate pet urine on me! I'll bet your friends could relate to this Sunday sign when the finally got home.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

I can only imagine the story that 911 operator had to tell that night. That is funny.
Ralph

8:05 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Well, I must say, I too think it is funny--about the Backfiring and the Dog peeing in her lap...NOT The Car Problem. THAT is NEVER Funny....!

Glad you had such a very nice Easter Rachel....And that is a GREAT Sunday Sign....!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I hate cars they are so darn unpredictable, glad everyone is alright.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

The moral of that story is that I should stay away from Seky, where ever that is. And if I do go and have a break down, don't hold the dog in my lap if I see a coal truck coming. :)

I am sorry about your chairs. We have a fellow here that squirts something in the holes and they are as good as new, nice and tight. I didn't hear what it was.

Nice church sign as usual. I am glad you had a nice Easter, we did too. BP (grandaughter) got baptized, that was really good!
..

11:35 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Sometimes tragic/humourous incidents which happens to us only become funny with the passing of time and the retelling of them. I am sure your friend with be recalling it to friends as a funny outing in no time.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

LOL!! I think it's funny too, especially about the dog peeing in her lap. I do however sympathize with anyone who has car trouble.
I'm glad you had a nice Easter Day with friends.
I like your sign too.

9:25 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for coming by, dear Rachel...I knew you would enjoy the Flowers AND Sweetie, of course....He is so very dear....I wish you would show us some more pictures of your dear Cats...!
HAPPY SUNDAY, my dear.

11:41 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Rachel,
Lol! You make me laugh with that history... but I car broken is always a big trouble.

I hope you had a Happy Easter.
(((Hugs)))

12:09 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Uggh. I can picture the whole thing - I hope they've recovered! Happy Easter (belated).

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I hope you are doing okay, Rachel. I miss your church sign even though I may come late.
..

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter