Wednesday, November 24, 2010

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

This is a photo I took one evening and you can see the date on it. That day it was so windy! I do mean super-windy. If it wasn't nailed down then it was likely blown away. I was hoping that the oak tree in the yard would let go of it's leaves (it was blowing perfectly to blow them over the hill that day), but they clung on with all their strength and might. It just wasn't their time I guess. They waited until a few days later to fall so they'd be sure to land in the yard and not fall over the hill. Last Monday night the moon was shining so bright, and it was so light outside that I decided to rake some leaves before the predicted rain came. I could see fine without a light. I got the leaves that were mostly in front of the house and I made so many trips carrying a tarp full of leaves and tossing them over the hill. I'm so glad I did that, because the rains came, and now I have that many leaves already gone.


Things around here have been pretty routine for us lately. Last week I visited the doctor since I had a sore throat and I didn't want it to develop into anything worse.
I did see a couple of deer on our road lately. Both times one crossed in front of me at the same place. Both times it was misting rain as well. I have seen deer on our road before but it's not very often. Right now it's hunting season for the poor deers and they are moving around a lot. They say they don't move around because it's hunting season but because it's mating season; but I think if someone was hunting for me that I would move around a lot too!

I'll leave you with a sign, and I hope everyone has a very wonderful Thanksgiving! We do have so much to be thankful for.




13 Comments:

Blogger Granny Annie said...

Thanks for sharing that perfect Thanksgiving message on the church sign. Hope yours was great Rachel.

2:54 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Great Church Sign!
It is amazing that those leaves were still alive enough to cling on---and then, a few days later....Gone!
I hope you are feeling alright Rachel, and that your throat is better.
And I hope your Thanksgiving was a nice one. It was very quiet here---just Sweetie and Me...Just another day.

10:44 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Happy Thanksgiving, dear Rachel! (belated...)
Many hugs to you!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Rachel, go back and look and my blog today. I sent you a reply to the comment you left on my blog, but I don't know whether you received it or not. my e-mail is:
crochetclara@charter.net

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Great Sunday sign.
Watch for deer on that road Rachel. It's no fun hitting one.
Ralph

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sign and I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I had a good one with my family then as I said in my e-mail got sick! I think deer know it is hunting season since it happens every year about the same time.My sister lives in town but has some wooded land behind her house. They come there like they know they can't be killed there!

11:28 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Great cloud shot!
Have you ever tried mowing thru your leaves to mulch them instead of raking? Blow the leaf fragments towards plants, shrubery, trees... instant mulch, clean lawn.

4:32 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one dear Rachel....It's been quite cold here--For Here, I mean. (lol) But the winds have cleaned out The L.A. Basin and the View is more than Spectucular....!

8:58 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for coming by dear Rachel....Yes, the Sculpture Garden was VERY Stark back then, but I have seen some Video of the more recent version, just today on YouTube, and it is so much better now....Not everywhere, but they expanded it and there are lots and lots of trees and much grass and a lot shrubery so it looks much much better now, I'm happy to say.....!

1:44 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel ~ Great cloud shot! ~ jb///

9:31 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Hi Rachel, thanks for the mention on your last post. Yes there are some good friends out there in blogland. You need to fly out this way again.
I put up a story about Juli that might be of interest to you since you've been together some. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

9:14 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit, Rachel---Glad you liked the Portrait---I Do Too!!!!
Hope all is good with you, my dear....
Where has this year gone??
How is your dear Husband?
And how are all the Animals?
Time for pictures of your Kitty's, dear Rachel.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel ~~ Our oak trees stay green all year round. In the late spring they 'shed' the old and have new ones ready.

You be careful out raking in the moonlight. There are strange creatures hiding around in those hills.

I peeked in on your face book, things were pretty quiet there too. Jamie Dawn livened it up a little.
..
(: I did think that I had left a comment here earlier but must have abandoned it without doing the 'publish' button. :)
..

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter