Thursday, March 16, 2006

Today's Mix

Today has been depressing somehow. I don't usually get down in the dumps but I was this morning. I had an appointment to see the eye doctor at 0915. The corner of my eye gets irritated and itches and stays red and gets junk in it. Basically it's just an annoyance. I've had it before. They would not refill the medication. I had to be seen.

I stoppped in at Hardee's for a cup of coffee to take with me. I thought about getting a sausage biscuit but decided not to. A couple of miles up the road I am sitting at the light and the driver heading in the opposite direction but facing me is picking his nose. Not really picking it. He was digging up there for all it was worth. At that point I was so glad I had not gotten the sausage biscuit.

I got to the eye doctor and had to fill out my life history again. I point out to them that I have a $2400 deductible on my insurance (hoping they'll have pity and adjust the cost some). Works sometimes. Didn't work today. She gave me some samples of one kind of drops. Then she gave me a prescription for another drop to use. The office call was $70. Ouch. Then I went to the pharmacy. Usually I have a $30 co-pay. Not today. It was almost $50 for that tinunsy (this is my neighbor's word for super small) little bottle of eye drops. Ouch again.

I was just reading last night in Reader's Digest about how people say they can't afford to get sick because so many people can't afford insurance. I can understand. Since I don't work anymore I have to pay $334.02 a month for my BC/BS and I have that $2400 deductible, but it pays 100% after that is met. That way if something major happened it wouldn't wipe us out hopefully. But that high premium each month is mighty painful. I don't know what is going to happen to the health care in this country but it sure needs something done. I can understand how people cannot afford it. You would think if they can put a man on the moon and come up with all this technology, that they could solve some of the more pressing problems here in America.

18 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

I am so with you on that health care issue. All they give it is lip service when in fact it needs a major overhaul. I pay about $700 a month for it, but then have co-pays on everything. Every year at tax time (now) I know I won't meet the IRS's deduction standard and I am happy.
By the way, yeah - be glad you didn't get the sausage biscuit.
Ralph

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear it was such a down day. : ( As for the nose miner in the vehicle near you, ewwwww. What is UP with people who think they're invisible in their cars?

It always amazes me to hear of such incredible expense that American citizens must pay for basic healthcare. It's scary indeed.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Medical costs are enormous!
I wish that good health insurance was more affordable.
The nose picker/digger would have ruined my appetite too.
I hope you are feeling better emotionally and not so down in the dumps anymore. Some days are just like that.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I hope the gold miner wasn't eating his profits. Ewww!

My husband has pretty good insurance, but it was a lot better a few years ago. I think this country needs a health care reform.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

My husband still works (he's 67) so that we have insurance through his employer. The health care situation in this country is deplorable and pitiful. And don't even get me started on that Medicare crap they just introduced. We want to stay away from that as long as we can.

9:59 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a mess the Health Care is now...! I don't understand how this all got to be so truly horrendous Rachel, do you? I truly laughed out loud when you were describing that Nose Picker! Soooo Not Appetizing!!! UGH!

So sorry you have been feeling blue, my dear Rachel....I hope things look better on this St. Patricks Day!

3:04 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sweetie Here.

Hi Rachel. Thanks for coming and visiting my blog. My Mommy says you love cats and feed some strays at a barn...I think that is so nice. What kind of food do you give them? Fresh cooked Turkey? HA! I like that, sometimes.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Sorry, I just can't sit at a computer at 5 AM and talk about nose pickers.
Excellent move, not getting the sausage bisquit. I often wonder why you can't get a piece of toast with sausage on it from a fast food restaurant?? I guess it would be too easy.
I agree that the cost of insurance is almost beyond comprehension. Our county is paying over $1100 per month per employee for their family coverage. When I got on the board Marilyn and I were paying over $800 per month for $5000 deductible. And the deductible was for each person.
I know some of the trouble is the advancement in medicine. If we had lived 100 years ago, both my Wife and I would be dead now.
I sent you an email. I hope it cheers you up.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Well OF COURSE you were depressed. Lots of niggling worries involved here. Health, finances....

5:55 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

In answer to what you left over at my blog, yes Kyle Petty drives. You got Jimmie's name right (some use Jimmy). Yes, there are teams anywhere from 2 to 5 on one team. Are you sure you're not a NASCARaholic?
And the Bengals are a football team from Cincinnati. That's another sport I enjoy. I also like baseball but don't watch much anymore, and rodeo which I do watch a lot.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad just got a $200 tinunsy tube of salve for his face. Then his face really broke out. I think he's alergic to the salve. So now he needs to go back to the doctor. It's just crazy, ain't it?

10:17 PM  
Blogger MaR said...

Oh,health insurance! I hope you eye is better :¬)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Tiredawg said...

Saw you at Cheyenne's. Need your NASCAR lessons. Stop by my site. BTW, health Ins. is ridiculas.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

There are days like this. I felt kind of down yesterday, but today the sun is shining. And don't get me started on health insurance; I'm self-employed!

4:36 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I think it's that time of the year for the doldrums. I'm having the same thing. Glad I'm not alone, misery loves company!

I understand and agree about the health insurance. While my husband was on strike we had to pay for our own insurance. Ouch! Not only were we minus his paycheck but now a new bill. Thank goodness he is back to work. I think we live in a wonderful country but there are many things that needs some serious fixing and this is one of them!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, what is up with health care in America? Why is it so expensive to just 'see' the dr? It's awful! So are gas prices :( Makes me wish Jesus would just come and rapture His church today, you know? Hope you feel better and have a blessed weekend Rachel!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I hope you are not down in the dumps any more.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

All health care costs are out of control. I see what is charged and I don't see how anyone without insurance coverage can afford to be sick or have any tests done.
We are fortunate to be covered by two insurance plans that work together and an Rx plan with a $3 co-pay.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter