Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Life in the 10th grade.

We have had another pretty day. Gotta love this spring-like weather. I ventured out and ate at a Mexican restaurant that I had never been to before. I'm never sure what to order in those places since I don't know what most of the stuff is. I do know what tacos and burritos are so I try to keep it safe and stick with them. I ordered a large chicken burrito. When they say large, they mean large! No way I could eat all of that thing. I ate about 1/3 of it and brought the rest home. It was sooooo good. It was smothered in some kind of yummy cheesy sauce and had lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream on the side. I should have taken a picture but I didn't think of it, so you'll have to use your imagination!

The VA nurse came out today to see my hubby. She tried to draw some blood but stuck him twice and didn't try again. She said she'd wait and get it the next time. He doesn't mind being poked with the needle. He says it doesn't hurt at all. They usually get it out of the top of his hand in one of those veins which are easier to see. But she had no luck there either. He had some lab work done before and she brought the results today. His cholesterol was 132! Woohoo, that is great! All of his blood work was good except his B12 is low, so he will have to start taking some medication for that.

That reminded me of when I was in high school, 10th grade. I was skinny as a rail back then. We lived about 15 miles from town and I rode the bus. I would get sick every morning and throw up. I threw up so much on the bus that the driver, Big Bill, told me to please let him know if I was sick and he would stop the bus and let me get off. I had him stop many times to let me off. Usually when that cold morning air would hit me the feeling would ease off. One morning we were unloading at the school and I was almost up to Big Bill and it just came out right there in the aisle and I puked my guts out. Big Bill said, "Rachel, couldn't you have waited just a little bit longer?"

It was awful to be sick every morning. I tried eating and not eating. Didn't matter. I'd still get sick. I got up earlier and rode the horse before I went to school thinking that if I did something first it might help. It didn't. Then my monthly cycle quit coming (sorry folks to talk about such a personal thing). There was one teacher that most of the kids didn't like, the Algebra teacher. I liked her though. I got sick in her class and she took me to the sick room and she came back to check on me. I thought she was really nice to do that. They called my Dad to come and get me and he came about 3 times and picked me up. The next time they called he said, "Little girl, I am getting tired of having to come to school to pick you up all the time. You are going to the doctor."

The doctor checked me over and he could put both hands around my waist and make them touch, so you know how skinny I was. He said, "You don't have enough blood to keep a chicken alive." I had to go every week for 4 weeks and get a B12 shot, first in one hip and then the other. I also took iron pills. I got to feeling so good. I can't tell you how good it felt to get up and not be sick! I felt like a new person. Soon then the monthly cycle came back and all resumed to normal.

I know, morning sickness and no monthly cycle, some of you probably thought of pregnancy. At that time in my life that was not even a remote possibility! I still thought boys were creepy!

17 Comments:

Blogger Pirate said...

drawing blood is the worst thing they can do to you when you're awake.

7:12 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Oh Pirate, don't be such a baby!

Rachel, as to the nice weather, please see comment left by Kristy on my Monday post.

Love, love, love Mexican food! Chimichangas are my favorite! It's like a fried burrito.

Glad to hear that your hubby is doing well. That is awful what you went through when you were younger. Glad they found the problem and it wasn't anything any more serious!

I give blood when ever I can and don't even flinch at needles.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hi, Rachel. Lovely pictures of your walk by the lake. I noticed in my yard that my irises and paperwhites were starting to come up and the grass, currently a little brown, is starting to green up. I guess we'll be getting our lawn tractor out pretty soon. Your little pup standing on the picnic table looked so cute!

We also love Mexican food. Our favorites are fajitas which are served on a sizzling platter -- shrimp for me and fiesta (beef, chicken and shrimp) for husband. It comes with refried beans, Mexican rice, pico de gallo, lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream. We usually eat this once a week.

Your story about the B12 shots was really something. I'm glad they found out your problem and you stopped getting sick on the bus. Hope your husband is feeling okay and is enjoying looking out at the nice weather we're having.

9:39 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is a very interesting post, Rachel....Many people don't realize the importance of
B-12...you know? For some reason, I've known about it for maybe 40 years...YES! So I give myself
B-12 shots...the doctor taught me how ALLL those years ago, and I think it has helped me tremendously, over the years...Of Course there are things that B-12 cannot fix....I realize that, but...there are so many things it can fix! Glad you had a good doctor back in High School...and I hope it helps your Hubby now, in 2006!

10:27 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I don't mind them taking blood from me but for God's Sake! Make sure you stick the needle only once and on the right place.

11:26 PM  
Blogger David said...

You HAVE to expand you menu choices at the Mexican restaurant but I can't even imagine a good Mexican restaurant in Kentucky. They are a dime a dozen in this fair city. Brought back a memory of when we were in Ohio and they opened a Mexican restaurant (1972). It was horrible. Now the REAL mexican food you get just south of the border will get your attention, but it is good.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

It is amazing what some shots and iron supplements was able to do for you. It changed your life! It's good that you had a doctor that was able to resolve the problem. How terrible to sick all the time like that. I bet you felt like a new person after that.

Enjoy the nice weather, and hope that it stays nice from here on out. Rain is okay, but no more real winter weather.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

I like enchaladas (I'm sure that's not spelled correctly!)

Scary business, how something so simple can make you so ill!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

We tried a new mexican food restaurant the other nite. Great food. They take the chimichangas and cut them open and load them with sour cream, guacamola, and lettuce. Good stuff.
I hate it when they can't find blood. You get a tiny little paper cut a bleed like a stuck hog and yet they can't find blood with a needle.
I'm glad they finally fixed you up. I'll bet that got to be embarrassing for you.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, what an ordeal. I didn't think pregnant, but I did think car(bus?) sickness? I am glad they were able to figure it out and get you all better.

I am LOVING this weather. It seems to be clearing the cobwebs of my brain. I am SOOOO proud of you, continuing the study without us. I am really really going to try and get back into a routine there again. It was a good thing when I did it.

Mexican food is our all time favorite as well. Love love love it!

10:56 AM  
Blogger EV said...

My goodness what an ordeal. You poor thing! Good for your Alegbra teacher.;)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That had to be embarassing. I'm sure too, that some were wondering about morning sickness.
I'm glad about the low cholesterol, he must take Zocor to be that low.
..

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. I was hoping you were going to tell what was making you sick. It's funny, but pregnancy never even crossed my mind until you said 'morning sickness'. I'm glad they got to the bottom of it for you. Also glad to hear your hubby is doing well. I hate giving blood. I donated at our church a few weeks ago and nearly passed out. I'm a wimp, lol. Have a blessed Thursday!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, Rachel, that must have been just horrible being sick every morning like that! So it was just a vitamin and an iron deficiency? I'm glad that's all it was. Do you still take supplements?

8:53 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Rachel...
Thanks for letting me know about that link....
It's all fixed now! Pheeww! (lol)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Just popping back by.

I LOVE Mexican food. I encourage you to try some new things next time you eat Mexican food.
Check the menu for fried ice cream or sopapillas for dessert. Yummy!!!!!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I was born and raised on Mexican food. I know what all that stuff is...well, most of it. The other night I had a cooked dead chicken smothered in pumpkin seed sauce. Added a few jalapeno slices and a lot of pico de gallo and 1/2 a bottle of picante sauce. Pretty good.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter