Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Spring Yard Chores

Today is a lovely spring day. I have been working in the yard and I have plenty more to do. Yesterday the push mower bit the dust. Yep, deader than a doornail. Its body was already beat up and held together with some wire in parts, since yours truly kind of nudged it a little with the car last year. Well, it was parked at the end of the garage and I just failed to hit my brakes in time. Could happen to anyone you know. I don't have much to push mow, but I went and bought a new one. I got the cheapest one they had, but it still cost close to $200. I guess it's been awhile since I had bought one because I was surprised. I figured I could get one for about half that much. Shows you what I know. They delivered it for me and took the old one away. Hubby told me to take the blade off the dead one before they took it, since we had bought a new mulching blade for it, so I did.

Then I tried to start the riding mower only to find out the battery was down on it. I just bought a new battery last year. I hooked it up to the charger and left it overnight, so it was fine this morning. Now the lawn is mowed. I still have to use the weedeater though.

I got the Mantis tiller (wonderful machine they are) out and tilled me up a spot to set out some sweet onions. I love sweet onions! I don't think I'll try anything else this year. I do have several herbs around in various places, mixed among the flowers. I usually set out a few tomato plants but they don't do very well, and they are reasonable at the Farmer's Market, so I think I'll just stick with onions.

This donkey here is trying to talk and you know what he's saying? He's saying go to Best of Blogger and vote for Ralph C. Today is the last day and I know everyone will be glad!! But it's just been fun to do. Ralph has been such a good sport about it, and so has his PR man Cliff You just can't find nicer folks than these two guys. I really appreciate everyone who votes, or voted, for Ralph. It looks like he'll be coming in 2nd place, which is wonderful. Somehow I don't think it will make him get the big head though. He's far to nice for that.

Now I must go use the weedeater and set out my onions!

11 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

it snowed here this morning. Not much but enough to make me crazy!

1:06 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Sometimes it seems that a simple project , like mowing , leads to another, which leads to another, which leads to another .... It is the season for yard work and clean-up, though. I know what you mean.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Hi Rachel, just two things. First, what kind of sweet onions do you plant? Secondly, I thought we agreed not to post any more pictures of me? Just thought I would say it before someone else (like Cliff) did.
Ralph

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I love the phrase "nudged it a little with the car". That's sounds like something my Mom and Dad would say (and do).

5:42 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, these are Georgia sweet onions. And that isn't a picture of you! It's a donkey, and a cute one too!! Surely Cliff wouldn't suggest such a thing.....would he?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well now I'm embarrassed. I was going to allude to Ralph's picture until I read the comments. I AM WAY TOO PREDICTABLE!
Do you hire out on the lawn work?
I'm glad you got everything going. Sound like you needed a new mower anyway.
ps. try not to run over this one.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You have done such a great job for Ralph. That Mr. Fabulous guy is cheating, I just know it!!
Good luck. I hope Ralph is paying you well.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "Murphy's Law" day, lol. I've had a few of those--when everything goes wrong. Glad you finally got the yard mowed. I need to get my son out to do ours very soon or else it will be impossible. We bought a new mower last year, and yes, they are pricey. But they are necessary. Have a blessed Thursday Rachel!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Wow. I hate yardwork but at least my mower is holding up thus far. Now I'm off to vote for Ralph.

The Lumpy

9:41 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I just voted for Ralph!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

If you were a procrastinator, it would've been your "dream day". We haven't had to mow here yet, but the grass is greening up. My lilac bush has tons of buds. It was new last fall, so I wondered how it would winter.
Ah, spring!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter