Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Daddy

This is my Dad. He was sitting in his back yard whittling on a cedar stick. He loved to whittle and could make shavings that would curl up so nicely. In the house he would get an old piece of newspaper and lay it down and whittle and let the shavings fall on the paper for quick clean up. He whittled all kinds of things. He made a few walking sticks with marbles in them. He liked to whittle pieces out with sharp points on them. They could easily be used for weapons! Then he would whittle some pieces out real sharp like a knife blade. He called them "liver splitters." They were sharp enough to split a liver that's for certain!

He had so many red cedar sticks. He had some in his smokehouse tied up in the rafters and he had some under the floor of the house. After he passed away we went through his sticks and some of them had funny writing on them. One had a little poem on it about Bush and Quayle written back when they were in office. My brother has that particular stick. One had animal pictures drawn on it (Dad was no artist) and by one animal it had something written and I tried and tried to figure out what it said. My brother looked at it and it didn't take him long to figure it out. It said "Gilly whomper." My Dad was always talking about a gilly whomper, just a word he made up!! We found some of the sharp sided ones with "liver splitter" on them, and some he had done some figuring on and written his name and address, etc. It was so neat to go through all those oodles (and I do mean OODLES) of sticks to see what might be found written on them. I still have some of his sticks. He always wanted to make sure he never ran out of red cedar for whittling. He had enough stashed away for 2-3 lifetimes.

This is Dad in his overalls (all he ever wore) that he washed with Clorox in the water and they got faded out. He called them his "cloudy" britches!!

My Dad always had a great sense of humor and he just loved life. You can see in this picture where he cut some off the bib off his overalls since they must have been too tight when he bent over or something. He had several that he had cut out like that. You can also see in the corner by the fridge the broom turned upside down and some sticks for whittling! He always laughed and said also that if someone come in the door you didn't like you could whomp them over the head with one of the handy sticks there!

We used to work in the fields and chop the weeds out of the tobacco and the garden stuff. It was a hot job. But he made it more fun by making up little silly songs and poems about the neighbors and different things that usually kept me laughing. It helped the time to go by quicker too.

He used to say this riddle; Jump up on Hiphop, hollor for Bumberry, to come run Tom Tigamaterry out of the World of Wigglemaworry.

Translated he said that meant; Jump up on the log, holler for the dog, to come run the groundhog, out of the cornfield!

Yep, Daddy loved life and he loved to laugh. We have had many a good laugh together and I can just see him now laughing so hard.

20 Comments:

Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Wow!
I loved this. It's so poignant and moving. I can't even find the words to accurately describe it. I'm just glad you shared it with the rest of us.

7:28 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Rachel you had a wonderful relationship with your Dad and it just shines through your post. Finding all his sticks must of been like finding treasure. Memories are such a joy, thanks for sharing them with us.

Take care xx

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Your Dad sounds like quite the character. I'm sure you miss him being around a lot.

Thanks for sharing your memories of him.

10:26 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That's a lovely memory of your dad. It reminds me of my own dad.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

He had a language all his own.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

If there is ever a 'blog school', your blog will be the example of what blogs are supposed to be.
If your Dad could read this blog now, he'd know his life was worth while. You are a fortunate lady, Rachel!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

This is a wonderful post. I almost missed it. Glad you could upload pictures, I've been having troubles all week.

Maybe that is how people could recognize your father, by his cut in the overall bib.

My grandpa had a sawed of 410 shotgun that I sure would like to have. One of my eight cousins has it.
..

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nice post about your Dad. He sounds like a great guy..

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Your love for your dad shines through. I would like to have met him. He sounds like such fun.
Those wittled sticks of his are treasures.
I would not want to run into one of those liver splitters though. I like my liver unsplit. :)

9:11 PM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

Very touching tribute to your father. I am glad you have some of his 'sticks' to remember him by.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories. It sounds like he was a good dad.

Thanks for sharing.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I can see where you get your outlook on life. Wonderful post.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I always thoroughly enjoy reading your entries! Thank you for making them moving and interesting.

11:51 AM  
Blogger EV said...

Dad sounds like a great guy who left you many priceless memories. Thanx for sharing them Rachel

1:24 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
This is wonderful post. I bet everytime you see red cedar you think of your dad. I am glad you still have some of those sticks.
Ralph

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This piece brought tears to my eyes.....what a REAL and lovely man he is......he so reminds me of my grand-dad........he used to sing silly little songs to us when we were small and I never saw him in anything but overalls.....what a lovely time......

4:25 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I loved your post. I recently did one on my Dad called A memory. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad.
This was my fist visit here, I came over from Jamie's place.

Have a great day!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Just checking in. Got to go now. Hope you guys are ok.
..

4:46 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

I can feel through your post the amorous relationship with your Dad. So beautiful! Lovely memories!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Those are really great memories of your dad and I really enjoyed reading them. My husband wears overalls most of the time too. He loves them.

Cedar makes the best shavings and they smell so good too. It's very easy to carve and very pretty. Going through your dad's pieces of wood must have been like finding little surprises and pieces of his life.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter