Saturday, June 03, 2006

Grooming American Pie Bye Bye

Catchy title huh??

I think I know a good occupation for someone to get into. The dog grooming business. I wanted to get my dog groomed and never could get them to answer the phone where I usually take him. I left a message but they never called back. So I went over there to make one in person. She said they are booked until mid July. I told her I had left a message but no one had called me back. She said that they are not good at returning calls. They board animals and that place is always packed. They even have 2 fat raccoons in there that they have had since they were babies. One of them is the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. I can't imagine what he weighs! She got a permit to keep them. The last time I was over there she had a baby goat running around including the several dogs and cats that roam at will. They are good groomers though. But mid July! That's like trying to get a doctor's appointment.

Since my dog's hair is getting pretty long I told her I'd try to find someone else. I called another one that I've had him to several times but no answer for a few days, so I don't know what has happened to her. She had some health issues before, so that might be it. I called a couple more places and it was going to be about a month. Finally I got one that had had a cancellation and I got that spot. It will be on June 12th.

I can cut his hair and I have before but it's hard. They have a table they stand them on while they sit down and the dog has a noose around its neck and can't really move. I don't have that equipment. I hate to take him because he starts shaking like a leaf in a windstorm and gives me that begging look to not leave him. It is so hard to do but necessary. Then when I go back to get him he is so happy to see me... and he's all neatly groomed too.

It's obviously a business that will keep you pretty busy. Maybe it's slower in the winter as I would think more people would want their dogs hair cut during the hot weather.

On one of the houseboats down below they are having a concert tonight. Right now they are singing, "American Pie." I have heard all of Merle Haggard and Johnny Cashs' songs I think so far. It's no trouble to sit here and hear them loud and clear. When I go in the other room to bed I think I won't hear them though. I sure hope not. He isn't a bad singer but I think I've had enough music already. Oh, I just heard someone holler at them so now they have quieted down.
So I guess this is the "the night, the music, died..... bye, bye Miss American Pie...."

13 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

If the music keeps up you might want to get some earplugs. Can your hubby hear it too? I know he has sleeping problems.

We have a new dog grooming and tending place being build on an acreage nearby. They aren't vets. Adi won't be there, she gets nails cut at her vet's and I shampoo her.

I think that big racoon is Rocky. We put him out in the park ten miles away after I flushed him out of the attic and trapped him.
..

12:42 AM  
Blogger David said...

Wow I never knew dog grooming was such a business. I just brush mine. But I wonder how much they make at that job?t

4:30 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

So, on June 12th your diggie with be really spiffy!

Our big dog, Simba, sheds like crazy. My son recently gave her a bath and there was hair all OVER the driveway. She is an outside dog. I would never let her in the house. She's got a nice kennel out back with plenty of shade, food and water. She's got it made!

10:20 AM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

I used to groom my own dogs - had all the proper equipment, etc. but it sure wasn't easy - maybe they stand still better for strangers then their owners. Having no dog now I don't have to worry about that - I hope you have a good grooming experience.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Marilyn has a great dog grooming business. She might be able to do it. Just don't ask Jerry to drop your dog off.
Ralph

3:11 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I was just humming American Pie around the house the other day...it's one of my favorites.

We had a toy poodle for 15 years and for about the last 5 years of her life we groomed her ourselves....She was really good at standing still, but needed frequent breaks. We didn't rush...even if it took us a couple of days to finish, it didn't matter.

Long hair in the hot summer months helps keep the dog COOL...and in the winter it helps keep it warm. God made dogs with the right length of hair, but it's just us who want to trim it up.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to sing American Pie alll the time when I was a teenager. Not sure what drew me to it. Now I can't get it out of my head.

We have a cat, so didn't realize there was such a demand for dog grooming. But then, it does make sense. Glad you were able to get that cancellation for this month!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
My guest doggie went home today. She'll probably sleep for a week. I found out another big money maker is doggie dental work.

Hey Ralph,
Not every dog that rides with me is delivered to the gas chamber.

5:34 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

My Auntie used to do dog grooming but I am not sure if she did lots of dogs or just her own. She was always into learning new things. She now lives in France.

Have you watched the movie American Pie? I wouldn't as its kind of rude. LOL

I have just figured out how to put people on Blogroll and wondered if I could add you to my list.

Take care xx

8:16 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Oh, we always felt so for our dogs when brought to the vet or for grooming we couldn't do.
"American Pie" brings back fond memories. I've rarely been to any live music concerts but I did hear and see Don McLean while in college at a small place. He was terrific!!!!!!!!!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Marilyn said she could work him in but she doesn't have time to come pick him up. I'll talk her into doing it for you free. Free room and board too.
It's not an easy occupation. You also need to have a 'way' with animals.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

When can I bring the dog over?

5:41 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit, dear Rachel...
I am eventually going to post pictures of Bany, Silky, and Sugar..AND, I will post another picture of Mooney, as well...
Teeny was a dear cat..and, like I said, Funny! LOL!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter