Friday, August 22, 2008

"LET'S SEE THAT FINGER AGAIN."

This is what my finger looks like when I'm pointing. I can't help it that my finger is crooked. I think it's because I'm double jointed in my hands. When I was at Cliff's and pointed I think it was Ralph who saw it and said, "Let's see that finger again." Or maybe it was the other way around, but it was one of them.




Back many years ago it was discovered that I have a heart murmur. I went to a doctor at a University Hospital. At that time I was much slimmer than I am now. He said he was thinking that I might have something called Marfan Syndrome. People who have Marfan syndrome are tall, slender and loose-jointed. Arms, legs, fingers and toes often are unusually long. Maybe they generally have heart murmurs as well. At any rate I didn't have that....nor did I think I did, but he was just speculating anyway. I think maybe he was trying to say in a kind way that I reminded him of a monkey. Doggone his onery hide.

On another note I heard some news today that made me sad. I have posted a picture of Shadow before and here he is again. He is no longer alive. He belonged to neighbors that live 3 doors up on the other side of the road. Shadow had about 1 1/2 acres or so of an area to graze in with one tree in the middle of that. Somehow he had reared/lunged/jumped up into the tree and got his chest caught. Another neighbor saw him there Sunday morning and went to tell the owners. They rushed to get a chainsaw to cut the limb off. They got there just in time to see Shadow take his last breath. No one knows how long he had been there but I'm sure he panicked and was trying to get loose and possibly crushed his chest....or who knows. I have never heard of anything like that happening to a horse before. I'm just glad I didn't see him caught in that tree. Pup always enjoyed sniffing noses with Shadow. R.I.P. Shadow.



15 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

RIP shadow...so sad.

Have a good weekend

8:09 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

So Rachel, you went around Blogstock '08 giving everyone the finger?

So sad about Shadow. Nice photos to remember the good life.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,


So sad about Shadow!

What a strange thing to happen!!


Have a good weekend !


Junie

7:34 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Rachel, that is a weird looking finger! Maybe, you have broken it sometime and did not realize it. I am sorry about Shadow. One of my girls lost a horse not long ago. It was running down a hill, lost its footing and flipped and broke its neck. It was dead on the spot. She just about lost it over her horse! Weird things happen I guess.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Sorry to hear about shadow.

Yeah, that finger still amazes me.

Ralph

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Ah...that's so sad about the horse.

We've just been in monsoon weather for a week and had to come home for some relief from the rain and you want me to do a rain dance? Not on your life...I'm enjoying this sunny weather.
But seriously, we do need some rain here and I hope we get some soon. Our state is beginning to look brown instead of its usual greenness.

I hope your computer issues are resolved.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That Shadow looked like a nice gentle horse and friend. It is so sad when an animal dies like that, most domestic animals are very dependent upon us humans for their existence.
..
I have a crooked finger, it bends because of Arthur (Rightus). I also have two heart murmers, Mitro and Aortic valves. Adi has one but it is a two (2) stage.
..

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your finger, it's definitely different! So sad about Shadow. It's totally bizarre how he could have gotten himself in that predicament. I hope he didn't suffer too long.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

What a sad Shadow story. He must have been really panicked.
I've heard of Marfan Syndrome before. I think I read that Abraham Lincoln had that. Your finger is most unusual!
xo

11:30 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I think your finger is cute, like it has 'personality.'
I do not have long fingers but wish I did.
My daughter and my thumbs are crooked. The last joint is looking in another direction.
That is so sad about Shadow. How horrible for him to pass that way.

5:38 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh Poor dear Shadow. That sounds like a ghastly end for such a dear Horse! I'm glad you didn't see him, too. How terribly painful for this sweet horse....!

It is incredle that something like that could happen, isn't it?
RIP, dear Shadow.

I have some bent fingers myself, but mine are from Arthritus. I've never seen one quite like yours though Rachel....!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Sad story Rachel, about the horse not your finger.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I think your finger is cute. I have seen people that could get ALL of their fingers to bend like that. Maybe double jointed, huh?
Sorry about Shadow!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Poor, Shadow. How very sad that he died in such a bizarre and awful way.

I like Granny Annie's comment about you giving everyone the finger at Blogstock.
Ha, ha, tee hee.
That is ONE strange looking finger!!
Kind of cool, actually, in a crooked sort of way.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter