Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Critters, and a New One Moving In

This is Scottie. He found the doors open to this cabinet and decided to climb in among all my books and papers. I definitely need to clean out this cabinet, as you can see. This is where I keep most of my cookbooks and recipes. There are also some phone books, a Road Atlas, and the church directory.  Sometimes I'll find  a recipe in a magazine or in the newspaper and I'll cut it out and it gets tossed in there. Chances are I may never make it. With the computer now and being able to find about any recipe you can imagine, it makes having cookbooks about obsolete, but some people love their cookbooks. I even have a favorite. It's the Pillsbury cookbook. Everything I've ever made from it has been good.



This is Rusty who is soon going to be a member of our family. I picked him out at the Animal Shelter. I thought for sure someone would come in and claim him but they haven't yet. They give owners 5 days to claim them. He is so sweet and loving. He was brought in wearing a nice collar and he's a very clean dog and well behaved, so I'm sure he had an owner somewhere out there. However he is supposed to be neutered tomorrow and then I'll be able to pick him up on Friday. He loves other people and other dogs, but I don't know how he will be with cats. We'll find out when I get him home! I went over yesterday and took him some Chicken McNuggets and I took him for a walk. He ate very gently and delicately. When I was filling out a bunch of paperwork he kept putting his front paws on my legs so finally I just picked him up and sit him in my lap where he was perfectly content. I can't imagine that there isn't someone out there looking for this little guy. Then again, the shelter is full of animals that are so pretty, sweet, and loving. It's a shame that many of them will not be adopted. The Humane Society does go in and takes a lot of them out and transports them to larger towns with larger Humane Societies, so that a lot more get adopted and don't get put down. 

I am calling this one Rusty because of his color. I have no idea how old he is, but maybe a vet can tell me. I'm sure it'll take awhile for him to get used to being called Rusty! When I first saw him and I took him outside on a leash and walked him around, and then I picked him up and he didn't complain at all about that, and then I sit him back down and I asked him if he knew what "Sit" meant. He immediately put his paws on my legs and looked up at me with those big brown eyes, and I said, "I'll take him!".

15 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, Rachel...Both these "critters" are as DEAR as they can be...You have The Biggest Most Loving Heart of anyone I have ever known....! "Rusty" will have such a good home with you, my dear...He is one lucky doggie and it looks like you are one lucky "person"....And your darling beautiful kitty---So cute and so smart. That cupboard is a GREAT spot for a gorgeous cat like Scottie---A Perfect name for him, by the way....! Do let us know how Rusty does with The Cats...!
LOVE these pictrures, my dear....!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

If your cookbooks are like mine you have little spills on them and the cat probably is attracted to the aroma of cookies, candy, roast, etc. LOL Welcome to Rusty. I hope he blends well with your family of critters. It never dawned on me that our Slim might have had another name before adopting us. I don't think it would be one she would want to hear again because she had obviously been mistreated.

3:46 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Awwww...he's just the cutest little dog. I am sure he will get adjusted to his new name in no time. He seems like a little gentleman and probably was a lap dog at one time, since he enjoyed being in your lap.
I have 4 cats and when I am in the kitchen I have to be very careful before I shut a door I have opened just to make sure none of them climbed into the cabinet. They are quick and stealthy...and I'm not.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Karen @ Karen On The Run said...

Hi Rachel, it looks like your kitty has found the perfect place! I had a place just like this. However, all of this seems to have disappeared! I'm sure it was due to me being 5,000 miles away during the move and my husband never was keen on my clippings! :)

Rusty sounds wonderful and I know he will be so excited to arrive at his new home! Chicken McNuggets sounds like a great treat before the walk. Enjoy Rusty and I can't wait to see more pictures of him!

~Karen

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those big brown eyes will get you every time, Rachel! I think Rusty will be perfect for you guys.

I am thinking he will be good with Scottie but how will Scottie be with Rusty? When we boarded Adi with her brother in Milan, TN, their cats weren't used to having Adi around.

I think they thought she was a big cat. Anyway they would get up on the book cases and arch their backs. Adi didn't mind. Neither did I because the cats were declawed.

I have several 'keeping places' with some that I have even forgot where they were. Let alone what is in them.

I had a Betty Crocker cookbook when we got married. We still use it for the basics, like how long to boil an egg and how to make frostings, etc. They Internet is handy with all its recipes too.

Happy Ground Hog Day,
..

12:15 PM  
Blogger possum said...

You sure that's your cat, not mine? Your cupboard? Sure looks like Hadji to me!
Good luck with your pup. I know he will be happy with you.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Rusty looks like a cutie, is he a dachshund??

5:02 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Be sure and tell Rusty it wasn't your idea to have him neutered, i'm just sayin.
Yeah cookbooks are mostly obsolete now except we too have an old favorite. It was more of an encylopedia. Whatever strange recipe or ingredient would be carefully explained. Hard covered and the size of a dictionary but we've used it so much it's hard covers are gone.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Tipper said...

Both are cutie pies : )

8:06 AM  
Blogger Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Love Rusty!! I know he is loving being a member of your family and getting lots of loving.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Isn't it funny where cats can go to be comfortable? hehe Hmmmm maybe he's reading the recipes and one of these morning he'll cook something for you! lol

Rusty is gorgeous and like you said, so strange that the previous owners haven't come looking for him. Their loss and your gain, I have no doubt he's found the perfect home with you. Fingers crossed that the cats accept him or vice versa...if not, just give it time:-) xoxo

11:04 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Scottie looks so cute!

I am so glad that you find Rusty! He looks adorable and so sweet!
I hope he will come to your home very soon.
I agree with Naomi, you have "The Biggest Most Loving Heart"!
Have a nice Sunday!

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Hi Rachel, it sounded like you had a nice Valentine's Day! Cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies and Krispy Kreme... Sounds absolutely wonderful! :)

~Karen

5:19 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This looks like a perfect dog for you. May you have lots of years of joy together.

I like to seen specialty cookbooks. I have on put together by the families of the game wardens (forest rangers if you prefer.) It has a lot of interesting game recipes. It is where you go to learn how to kill, prepare and cook a skunk, a beaver, and a lot of recipes for moose or bear meat.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This looks like a perfect dog for you. May you have lots of years of joy together.

I like to seen specialty cookbooks. I have on put together by the families of the game wardens (forest rangers if you prefer.) It has a lot of interesting game recipes. It is where you go to learn how to kill, prepare and cook a skunk, a beaver, and a lot of recipes for moose or bear meat.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter