Saturday, October 01, 2011

It's October!!

I can't believe that October is here already. It certainly feels like fall here with the temps getting cooler and the leaves beginning to change colors. I dread the leaf raking time. Ugh..not one of my favorite chores!!

Thanks for the nice comments about our home. It is quite cozy here!

One day recently I came out of Kroger grocery store and there was this huge mammoth of a dog that this woman was holding. It honestly doesn't look all that big in the picture here but it was big! If I saw this out in the woods I'd run like crazy!! This dog was super sweet and had beautiful soft long hair. I know he must suffer in the hot summers we have. The lady that owns him said he spent his time going from vent to vent in the house to get the cool air blowing on him. He is a Newfoundland breed. I think this is the first time I had ever seen one like this. Appropriately his name is "Bear."

Others were stopping and taking photos also.   The owners of the dog were parked beside me and that dog took up the whole back seat! He has a pretty face! Really a lovely dog.


If the abundance of acorns means we are supposed to have a bad winter...then look out! There sure are plenty of them this year...at least on our oak tree.
The dahlia still has some lovely blooms on it.
Scottie taking a nap in the recliner. Poor cat has a hard life, as you can see!

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!!!


Sunday Sign

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a BEAUTIFUL Dog, Rachel. And HUGE!!...
And I laughed out loud looking at your cat reclining so comfortably---Cats really know how to enjoy their life, don't they?

LOVE that sign...! LOL!

It's so good to see you Blogging again, my dear....! I miss you when you are not on here.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel ~~ That is a pretty dog. I am thilnking he eats a lot. I hope they don't get all their food from Krogers.

Sottie has the life.
I will check our oak tree to see how many acorns it has.

Thank you for checking in on Karen. I will have to teach her how to trade comments. Being busy is no excuse for not, ast least not for long. :)
..
..

2:35 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Newfoundlands are beautiful and huge dogs. I'm willing to bet about 85% of them are named "Wolf". The acorn legend scares me to death. I don't want a hard winter. That church sign is classic. Wonder who though it up.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The Newfoundland Dog is a wonderful breed of dog with a lovely disposition. They we developed over the years of isolation in Newfoundland. They were work dogs them pulling carts in remote roadless fishing villages. They are very loyal as well as powerful and have been known to jump into the ocean to assist their master.

Like most large dogs, which are now bred for gentleness, they are wonderful family pets who are quiet in the house and always want to be close to the family.

My Great Dane is just such a dog. She believes she is a lap dog and loves to try to sit on you knee or lie close to you.

If I were to get another dog I would like an English Masstif, a very big dog.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Midlife Mom said...

I do love a Newfy! I have known several of them that were named Bear too. They sure do look like one!

Love your house, it is adorable! Nice touch having Scottie posing on the walk! The dahlias are gorgeous. I tried to grow them last year but they didn't amount to a hill of beans. Don't know what I did wrong. :o(

Love the sign, what a hoot!

3:41 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Our Newfy was named Boris. He was the world's best baby sitter. He loved to pull a cart. My cousin Bill had a HUGE garden and used to supple the neighbors with produce... Boris pulled the delivery cart!
I LOVE your cabin!
And you know I love your cat! Looks like my Hadji.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

As soon as I saw the picture, I figured it had to be a Newfoundland dog, they are huge! There's a lady in our neighbourhood that has one and every time I see her walk by with him, it makes me do a double look because it looks like a horse! lol They are gorgeous dogs, though.

Autumn is in full swing here as well although we're having above normal temperatures for this time of year right now. Sunshine and temps in the high 60's, low 70's...I'm loving it:-)

That sign had me giggling! lol xoxo

6:57 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Hi Rachel, I know someone with a Newfoundland dog.....and it's name is Bear. They are beautiful. Me, I'll take the Shih-Tzu. I like a small dog that can sit on my lap and sleep on my bed. And talking about bad winters. Have you seen the wooly worms? They are SOLID BLACK. That is another sign of a hard winter from start to finish. Oh well, I'm glad I have plenty of yarn and food. :>)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter