Tuesday, July 12, 2011

R.I.P. Pup and Munchie, Beloved Friends

I had to have our dog, Pup, put down last month. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Here's a photo of him asleep I took a couple of months ago. He was 13 1/2 yrs. old. Oh what a sweet little dog he has been for us. He has traveled with us many places and was never any trouble. Loved riding in the car. We could leave him in the motel room and he wouldn't bother anything; just laid on the bed watching the door for us to return. Take him to a friends house to spend the night and we'd put his blanket beside the bed and he would sleep there just fine. Even my SIL who never would allow an animal in her home would let Pup stay because he was so good and he didn't really shed. We never allowed him to get on the furniture and she was amazed at how well behaved he was.


I can't begin to tell you how much I miss him. Wherever I went he followed. We have taken so many walks together.  He was smart and knew several tricks. My great neice used to tire him out getting him to jump through a hoop for her. Each time she'd give him a little bit of a treat. She'd make it last as long as she could. She loved getting him to do that. This photo below as taken while he was sleeping. 


Here's a photo I took of him and he had just woken up. He never liked looking right at the camera because he hated that bright flash in his eyes. He would either close his eyes or look away.

Back in May Munchie got killed by a car. She was a dear sweet cat and she and Pup were great companions. They used to play together and have a big time before Pup got too old and didn't feel like playing anymore. Here's a picture below of them laying beside me on the bed. She is laying her head on Pup's side. They were good close friends. I miss them both so much and it's been really hard. They are buried beside each other in the yard.

13 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I am so very sorry about Pup and Munchie. It's heartbreaking to lose a member of the family and our pets are part of the family. Hugs my friend.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I just hate it when a pet crosses the rainbow bridge. It's very heartbreaking. My best friend recently lost her young rabbit unexpectedly and has been devastated since. I have 3 cats and I dread the day they are no longer here. They're still very young but you never know what comes up.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Grandma K said...

It is so hard to lose a pet. Each time I swear - never again. But then it is again, and my life is always enriched by them.

So sorry for your loss.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I hate this for you so much. Don't know what I would ever do without my Slim girl. Bless your heart Rachel.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That has to be hard on you, Rachel. For thirteen and a half years Pup was there with you.

Now he is gone. I am sad just thinking about your loss. Probably some because I have been preparing for Adi to have a similar fate.

On another, brighter note, Karen has started another blog. I hope she keeps this one going.

This was the e-mail I got from her:
"[blog title]Karen on the Run | My life summed up… Eat, Family & Run!
To: "...Jim and Ar[Mrs. Jim]"

Why you need an iPad.... I got Wordpress (free app) and did my entire blog with pictures on my iPad.

http://karenontherun.wordpress.com/

Sent from my iPad
"

I am impressed that she can write it from her iPad. She has a new one, KP has her old one and can use it very proficiently.
KP is TWO YEARS OLD today.
..

3:55 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Dear Dear Rachel, I know how very hard these losses have been---Particularly Pup, who had been with you for so very many years...And, of course, dear Munchie, too---I'm so glad that they were such GOOD GOOD friends---So sweet, wasn't it?
It is so very hard to lose our dear loving pers---and two in such a short from each other. They are family and that unconditional love that they give us is Sooo very precious. My heart goes out to you, my dear Rachel....!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Pup and Munchie will be missed for sure. Sounds like they were the perfect pets.
Ralph

4:23 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You were fortunate to have such a beguiling friend for so many years.
My son had to put down his chocolate lab which was very old at 15. It took him two years to decide to do this. After a few months have passed they now have a wee white lab which delights them at every turn. They are again enjoying having a dog as part of their family. The loss of pets is part of the contract. The only alternative is not never have any and miss out on all the wonderful moments that fill our memory.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Tipper said...

Oh I'm so sorry about Pup-I know you must be so heart broken.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

So sorry dear Rachel. I know that was as tough as it gets. It's hard to lose a best friend like that. May he rest in peace.

8:01 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Oh! Rachel! I am so sorry...It's so painful to lose friends like Pup and Munchie...

My dear Flora passed away 12 Tuesday. She was very sick and it's have been a sad and painful time. Flora was my dearest and adorable companion!
I did a post in her homage on my blog too.
(((Many hugs)))

1:22 PM  
Blogger MGW said...

Losing your animals can be very difficult but I'm guessing that you have decided not to add any more pets to your home. We keep saying that's our plan, but then one dies and we find ourselves back at the pound getting another little rescue. Drove through Kentucky on Highway 64 just two weeks ago (we'd never been there) on our way back from Chesapeake Bay to Kansas City. Lovely country. We enjoyed our travels so much that we took an extra day to explore (and stock up on some Kentucky homemade treasures). I enjoy reading your Blog. M.

10:25 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Thank you dear Rachel, for your kind words of comfort about Flora's passing.
I't is very painful... I miss my dear Flora so much... I think that only the time could lessen our pain...
With warm embrace,
Sonia.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter