Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Turkey Lurky Visits and other Amusing Things

A couple of days ago I looked out and this turkey came walking out of the garage. She proceeded to walk slowly up the driveway making those turkey noises they make. I told her to come back and I would find food for her, but she ignored me and kept walking. Last I saw she was strolling through the neighbor's lawn. I have been outside and heard turkeys gobble before and I have seen them across the lake on the hillside, but this is the first one I've ever seen in our yard. She was all alone in her wanderings. 

Turkey Lurky!



We have been having some hot days now.  Each night I have a ritual of watering all my flowers. They sure dry out fast in this heat. I am NOT complaining; merely commenting! I do recall all those cold days of winter!

I was thinking about this and I thought it was funny and I still get tickled when I think about it. Here's the story. My sister in law and I e-mail each day. I normally send the e-mail to 2 cousins and two SIL's, and we just tell of the events of the day. Usually there isn't much to tell, especially for me. Anyway......one day in my SIL's e-mail she said, "Today I went to Roger." 
So I e-mailed her back and I said, "You went to Roger...and what did you and Roger do???"
She sent me an e-mail back and it was written in huge letters;

DARN THAT SPELL CHECK!!! KROGER! I WENT TO KROGER!!!!

Well, I really had a chuckle over that and still do!!

I never rely on spell check unless I'm not sure of the spelling of a word. I worked in a doctor's office before and did all the transcription and letters, etc. I always proofread everything before I hit the print button.  At first the doctor would read the letters but then he just would sign them without reading them since he trusted me. I told him one day that he should read them because I might be telling the person that he was calling them a big jerk or something. He just grinned and kept signing. He said, "I know you'd never do that Rachel." 

I was told another story of a woman working in a doctor's office and she wrote out all the checks. She said the doctor would just sign them and never look at them, and this bothered her. So one day she put one in that was made out to herself so she could take it back to him and say, "TAH Da! See I told you that you should look at these before signing them!"  When she got it back in the pile he had signed that one "Santa Claus."
So obviously he was giving them a quick glance before signing them after all!!

I hope everyone is having a great week!!

 
Here's my late Sunday sign and I really like this one!!! Sorry it's a little lobsided.


11 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Well, poor "Roger" missed out....!

That Turkey looks lonely in that picture. Poor thing wandering around alone....!

Hope you are well, my dear, and thanks for coming by and your lovely comment....!

And yes, Birthdays DO seem to come around faster and faster---Mine is almost here....and it is a BIG ROUND Number! (80)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel ~~ Mrs. Jim and I chuckled and chuckled about your sis going to 'roger.'
I'm still smiling. :)

I like your turkey. They say that when things get dry the animals and the varmints come up looking for water. We had a tarantula on our porch the other night. Brave Jim killed it but I suppose I should have taken him someplace.

I did take a picture of him for a Jim's June Bugs (remember that?) but I probably won't ever put it on.
..
BTW, KP is on my blog now. You just missed her.
..

12:24 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Hey! Great turkey picture! With all the wildlife we have here, I have not seen a turkey in my yard!

Some years ago I had a friend visiting here from Egypt. She called it K-Roger... thought it was a similiar thing to K-Mart. We still call it K-Roger's.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Maybe Turkey Lurkey was going to Roger.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I've never seen a turkey in our yard and we have lots of food that they would love to eat. Perhaps they are afraid of our cats.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Love the Kroger story.

What a coincidence...we had a turkey in our backyard this week. I didn't see it, husband did. I said that would make a good meal for all the cats outside. They didn't bother it though.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, Love the sign and the story about Roger or Kroger. lol. It has been very hot here, too, and I am watering as well. Hopefully, they are saying 80s for next week. Have a great weekend.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I can hardly wait to see wild turkeys on my property. They were successfully reintroduced in Souther Ontario a while back such that there is now a hunting season for them. They have extended their range north to where I live. I hve seen them within 3 miles of hear.
Until they show up the Sandhill Crane will have to do as the most dramatic feather friend.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh my goodness, I have tears running down my cheeks from laughing...that's too funny about your sister in law mistakenly having typed Roger instead of Kroger! LOL The boss signing the check Santa Claus is also funny! hehe

Imagine that turkey just walking out of your garage! lol We have wild turkeys around here but they usually stay in the open fields, they never seem to come in anybody's yards.

Love your Sunday sign:-) xoxo

2:20 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Like your Turkey Lurky!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

That lonely lady turkey was no doubt looking for her husband!!! She probably found him at the nearest watering hole!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter