Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Day Trip, or Part of a Day Anyway!

Today I went on an outing with a group from church. A small group of 11. We went to Berea, KY to eat at Boone Tavern. I had not been to that restaurant/hotel in about 30 years. Many years ago I ate dinner there with a group from the Chamber of Commerce meeting. Boone Tavern has always been noted for their spoon bread, and they served that to us today. Some say it's not as good as it used to be and the food isn't either; however, I thought the spoon bread was great and the food was good too. The waiters were very attentive, pulling out our chairs for us and even placing the napkins in our laps! It's nice to have a little high class living every now and then!!

My entree of Flaked Chicken in a Bird's Nest with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans.


Then it was time for dessert!! Bread Pudding which was great!



All the flowers there are so beautiful and lush. I wonder if the kids from the college tend to them as part of their work/classes? Berea College is a working college and the kids there work as part of their tuition. All the flowers along the front of the Tavern and that whole block are so huge and simply beautiful!


 


 We went and browsed in the stores after we ate. I enjoyed seeing all the things that they have, many of which are made by the students.  There are many lovely quilts, and you can see the vibrant beautiful lone star quilt behind me!




Isn't this flock so cute!




Sunday Sign
(he ran out of U's apparently!) 


18 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Nice day-trip Rachel.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Ron and I are so appreciative of good food that someone else prepares and rarely could be unhappy. The food you enjoyed and the treatment seemed lovely. The surrounding nature and the shopping had to be icing on the cake.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I have not been to Boone Tavern in years. Maybe, I can get there this fall. Yes, their spoon bread used to be great. I will have to make some soon and post on the blog. You gave me an idea! I love all the shops in Berea, too. Hope you are surviving all this heat and humidity. Have a great week.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Is spoon bread and bread pudding the same? Loved the sign.
Glad you had a good outing.
Ralph

1:14 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE the Sign, Rachel....I'm so happy you went on an outing, my dear---nnd that food looked GREAT to me!
The Flowers looked fabulous---everything so pretty...And I LOVED that little flock....lol....very very sweet....It sounds like it was a really good day.

1:18 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Forgot to say that the other little stuffed animals look darling, too...And the Quilts---GORGEOUS! And you look pretty darn good, yourself, my dear.

1:22 PM  
Blogger possum said...

OOOOooooo spoon bread! My, my, I haven't had any spoon bread in years! YUM! No Ralph, not the same. I did hear some one from UP there some where explain that spoon bread was corn bread that wasn't finished baking! LOL!
Great quilts! Really nice.

I am wondering what a Mohth is... Try to pronounce it!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You really got some beautiful pictures of Berea Rachel. Wish I'd known that you were going to be in town but I know that you were with your church group. Berea is a beautiful little town and it's probably been about 30 years since I've also eaten at Boone Tavern.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The food looks good and basic. If I ever got to Berea I would want to visit the college which I have always been interesting in as a unique historical educational institution.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:02 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel ~ I'll have to remember this Boone Tavern if I ever get to Kentucky! Is it close to the National Park? ~ j///b

7:09 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Sounds you had a nice day!

You look great!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Tipper said...

I'm glad you had a good time!! Love the sheep : )

9:22 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Now that's a flock of sheep that I wouldn't mind having:-) So delightful!! It's amazing the talent out there, these students really have a lot of it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they also take care of the flowers.

Yummmm, the food you ordered from that restaurant looks scrumptious. Would "spoon bread" be similar to bread pudding? I've never heard of spoon bread so that's why I'm wondering:-) My mom use to make bread pudding a lot and it was one of my dad's favourite.

I hope you've been enjoying a beautiful summer so far. It's been very hot and dry over here, no rain to speak of for over a month but I'm not complaining, at least it's not winter! lol xoxo

6:23 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You certainly had a great time. Love the quilts. I have made some but they sure aren't professional like these. What a cute idea to display Sheep on them.

3:32 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Rachel....Thanks so much for coming by...And I agree with you on everything you said...I wish you could see his house---this 'work of art'----in person, too, and meet George!
And you are so right about the Quilt Look....I know exactly what you mean! In fact, one could use some of George's designs and make Quilts or Needlepoint....They are so complex and Beautiful! And the colors are all so amazing...!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

Hi, Rachel. I used to read your blog all the time and then I got side-tracked. I recently bought a smart phone and was setting up the reader app and saw I had your blog in my reader list. I'm trying to catch up on the missed posts. I love your signs, too. With the new phone it is so easy to keep up. Food looks wonderful.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter