Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Critters Again

Here's the latest critter, Rusty. He's been here now for a couple of weeks and he's already got us doing his bidding! He is such a sweet dog. He likes to get half way onto your lap and lay. He likes to have his stomach rubbed. He doesn't like any of the dog toys and doesn't seem to care for toys at all. He does love to chase the cats and it was chaos the first few days with cats running to and fro with the dog in hot pursuit. That didn't last too long. Rusty will chase the cats but only if they run from him. If they ignore him he will ignore them. Most have caught on to that fact that he is harmless. Rusty is a Dachshund and he must be kind of a mix between a short haired and long haired one. He has long hair on his ears, some on his chest, and his tail. I have never had this kind of dog before. From what I have read about them they can be quite stubborn and I have found Rusty to be that way. I do think if he ever got off the leash that he would be gone in a flash. My neighbor has a fenced in yard and I let him in there to run a couple of times. Each time I stayed to keep an eye on him. He is a sweet dog, doesn't bark much, hasn't chewed up anything (that I'm aware of), and he is friendly to everyone. He hasn't been around any children yet, but he loves all grown ups that he has come in contact with. He jumps up in bed with my husband and will lay there beside him sometimes and my husband likes that. He is already fond of Rusty and will call for him.





This cat is the first one that said she wasn't putting up with no dog bossing her around. She is the smallest cat I have too. This is Diddles. I think she should have been named Trouble because if there is anything to get into this one will get into it. She is also the kind that will grab you by the ankles as you walk by. I have never thought of having a cat declawed, but I'm thinking about having this one. This cat is so ornery! Oh she is sweet looking here, but don't be fooled by that gentle sweet face!  Mischievousness, meanness, and orneriness lies right under her skin!! She does have her sweet times too, but they are not as often!









Here's Scottie resting and trying to take a nap. He gave me the impression that he didn't like the flash on the camera too much. Can't blame him for that! He is taller than the dog and has learned to ignore him. This is a dog bed but Rusty prefers to sleep on a blanket. He likes to dig on it and shape it into a ball that is suitable and just right.


We have really had a mild winter thus far. We did get a little over an inch of snow this past Sunday but on Monday it was in the 40's, so the snow was quickly gone.  I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's day. It was just another day around here. I did buy some candy after Valentine's day when it was half price. It was chocolate hearts with different fillings. I managed to eat the whole bag in a couple of days!








10 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh Rachel....It is lovely to meet and see your dear animals....Rusty looks like a real sweetie-pie....And Diddles sounds like he/she may be going to the Vets soon to get those pesky mean claws out....Scottie is just BEAUTIFUL....and looks like a wonderful companion....!
I always LOVE hearing about and seeing your dear animals, my dear Rachel....MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I am so happy that Rusty is working out. He is a beautiful dog. Are Jamie Dawn and Scarlet both gone now? I seem to remember you losing one of them but not both. What would we do without all our treasured animals?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Rachel, what a lovely, tender heart you have.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

The dachsunds that Marilyn has boarded are often characters also.
Diddles would grab my ankles just once then we'd have a discussion.
Sic the dog on him when he does that.
Have you been getting a little moisture at least, with this warm winter. We have been finally. We were pretty dry until the last couple of snow falls.

4:02 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Gee, I wonder why Diddles is unhappy? Maybe he resents the other critters. Some cats just like to be "Only Kitty." He sure is telling you he is not happy.
I had only one unhappy cat... found a home for her where she was Only Kitty, and she turned into a spoiled rotten love bug. Go figure!

Tell Diddles I think he is beautiful. Who knows? It might help.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Such beautiful animals and don't you just love the way they each have their own little character:-) Mom's cat Tiger is an ankle biter as well and poor mom has the scratches and bites to prove it! lol He's such good company for her, though, she doesn't know what she'd do without him. I so enjoyed meeting your beloved pets:-) xoxo

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I believe that Rusty is a keeper for you, Rachel. It is really nice that he and hubby are so chummy.

Adi, bless her heart, she is failing, is a therapy dog who visited shut-in's. Adi was pretty big to get into bed with someone but the smaller dogs did a lot.

The residents all just loved Adi but she can't do visits anymore because of her health.

Moral here, be sure to pick him up every day so that all of a sudden he would be too heavy for you. That is how people pick up camels, you know.

I agree with Cliff. I would have a rolled up newspaper right by Diddle's bed and swat him good when he bites. Some use a squirt water bottle. Just tryin' to help, Rachel. :)
..

10:16 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

What a lovely dog and cats you have, Rachel! Rusty looks a sweet dog and I am glad to know that he is fine.
It's so good to have such a lovely critters near us!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Perhaps, I should not tell you this. I was researching the most vicious and dangerous dogs and the Dachshund was at the top of the list. Surprised me too!

My Great Dane is the perfect breed. It is big and has the calm temperment of most large dogs but it also sees itself as a lap dog and always loves to be very close to you where it can easily sit on your knee. It is the only lap dog that can sit on your knee and keep it front paws on the floor.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter