Monday, July 10, 2006

Goats, Horses, and Chickens, OH MY

Saturday I had to make a drive to Monticello, KY. I hadn't been over there in ages. It's a pretty drive. Lovely country over that way on Hwy 90. It's about 18 or so miles from here. I saw a doe and fawn by a big cornfield. They were so pretty. I didn't stop for a picture though due to traffic. I also didn't want to alarm them and maybe make them run towards the road or anything.

On the drive back I stopped at a yard sale. They didn't have much to interest me in the yard sale but they did have goats in the pasture (which was right by the part of the yard where they had the stuff put out at). I started petting the goats through the fence. The lady said, "Oh I know an animal lover when I see one." I told her I certainly was! They had 2 horses and I asked if I could pet them too. She was so nice. They let me pet the horses and I got to smell those wonderful barnyard smells. Ahhhhhh......wonderful!! First time I have been that close to a horse in ages. I do mean ages!! The girls there (who were so sweet too) carried the goats up for me to see. Naturally I took pictures. They asked me if I wanted to see the baby chicks. I would have loved to but I needed to come back home, so I declined. They invited me back to see the animals anytime. I intend to take them up on that offer VERY soon, and I'll look at those baby chicks then.



I also took this last picture which is the driveway next to theirs. Isn't that so pretty? The tall corn on each side and that lane with the trees! I just thought it was so lovely. It's prettier in person though than the picture shows.

13 Comments:

Blogger Miki said...

Looks great Rachel! Glad that you got to spend some time with nature! Looks like a really nice place to visit!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

You are having way too much fun Rachel. I'm glad you got to do it.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

That sounded like a wonderful day. The pictures were great.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

9:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

It can't be much prettier than these pictures. Maybe they would let you ride that horse next time.
..

11:35 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

We were in that part of Kentucky in February. It's prettier now of course. Lovely pix in this post and the several below it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That driveway is pretty. I love the look of the country. I live a kind of half country life. We are in a neighborhood, but each house sits on at least an acre, and mostly woods and water all around. It takes about a half hour to get into town, so I consider us in the country.
Where we are moving will be outside of the nearest town also. We will be in a new development of about 100 homes on various sized acres. Our lot is nearly an acre and has lots of trees. I just love trees!
I'm glad you got to see some horses!!!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Sounds like you had a great day. Nice pictures too.
Ralph

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. The pictures are really good.
Farm animals are so cool..

7:02 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I love that drive between the corn fields...it is so beautiful. How in the world did you find this place, it looks so secluded?

I love petting animals and getting close to horses. They just amaze me, their size and their beauty.

My bike is having some work done to it, but I plan on taking Hwy. 80 out of Som****t and going wherever it leads me.

I'm with Cliff Morrow...I think you are having way tooo much fun.
:)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I found your blog interesting. Finally, a cat lover! My cats got banished from my house by the new lady of the house. We are trying to get them to move into the shed where we feed them after milking our Daisy.

Don't wait too long to revisit the chicks. They grow very fast. Take it from someone who started 80 day old chicks in his kitchen. In three week they had to go to a brooder pen in the shed.

8:37 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFUL Road! I love the other pictures too...Oh I hope you do go back and see the Baby Chicks and take more pictures of those wonderful animals....I love goats, too...There is something about them....And that Horse is a Beauty, isn't he?

12:08 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Nice and peaceful. Looks like a great time!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

What a great blog. I wandered over here after seeing your comment on my site, and love your blog! I too, love animals. Used to have chickens and a horse, dogs, cats, lizards. . . everything. It was great! Now I'm down to 2 cats and am trying to work back up to 'horse'. :)

Sounds like a good day all around!

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter