Sunday, June 24, 2012

Random Things

"What'cha looking at? This happens to be a very comfortable position."




I had shown these pretty flowers I had found while walking the dog and had no idea what they are.  Mr. Bowles gave the closest thing to what they must be. He thought they were a Castor Bean Vine and would get bean like pods on them. He was right about that! I went back to where I got them and took some more photos.

Most of the blooms were gone but this is the vine and it does have some bean pods on it. Trying to figure it out, the closest thing I could find by Googling it, that looked like it, was a Hyacinth Bean Vine. I couldn't really find anything about a Castor Bean Vine.



In this next photo below you can see the bean pod on the vine. You should be able to click on the photos to get a better look, if you want to that is!



We have been having Bible School at church and we had a good crowd of kids each night with an average of 101. Kids enjoy coming to Bible School and I don't blame them. So many fun things to do and learn!

This year the theme was Babylon and below is the props they used in the sanctuary. They do so much work that I am amazed at what all they do and I admire them for it. All this below is hiding the choir area and the organ. To get to the organ she has to pass through that curtain on the right side. All of this is particle board with cloth that they painted over it. Not only this prop but they had several of the Sunday School rooms decorated to fit that time period as well. I did some of the helping with taking things down. Sure easier to take it down than to put it up! They start months ahead of time preparing.




Here's a little something that may make you smile!
(And yes....I have called wondering where my paper was on a day that we do not get one. Sigh.)


'Where Is My Paper?'

The irate customer calling the newspaper offices, loudly demanded to know where her Sunday edition was.

'Ma'am, said the employee, today is Saturday.The Sunday paper is not delivered 'til Sunday.'

There was quite a pause on the other end
of the phone, followed by a ray of recognition.

'So that's why no one was in church today.'

_______________________

Hope everyone has a better than great week!!!


10 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a darling picture of your dear Cat...! SOOOO Very Very Sweet!

Those "beans" look like string beans or Pea Pods, don't they? Do you suppose these are edible? It's really amazing! The flowers were so fantastically Beatiful, and that plant wasn't done, creating---Now there are those amazing Pods!!!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

That is a cat that is very intent on relaxation! Love the pic.

I know absolutely nothing about plants but love the little purple flowers.

The joke is not only one I have heard but it definitely is one that I can relate!

So good to see a post from you Rachel:)

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel
I believe you may be correct with the results of your research on those blooms. Seeing the photo you posted of the vine and pods I can tell the leaves are different, as are the pods.

I'm going to attempt to insert a link to a picture I found in my old files of the bean vines I knew as Castor Beans. The blooms are certainly similar but the leaves on mine were spade shaped and had lots of red colored veins running through them. If the link works, you will notice that the pods are much bigger and wider than the ones you discovered.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vvzrGQ7k9_U7jB8Q7MpMCNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel
The link showed up but is not an active form.
If you want to see the picture you will need to copy and paste it in your browser address bar and hit enter.

Clarence

4:32 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sweet Peas! Those are Sweet Peas!!!
And they will re-seed year after year. I had them at the house we lost last year:(
When the seed pods dry in the fall, take a paper bag out there and get them off the vine before they pop open. You can then bless friends with the seeds for their own Sweet Pea garden.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous KarenOnTheRun said...

Hi Rachel, you all have had a great turnout at Bible School! That is fantastic and so great for kids to hear and learn!

I hope you are doing well and have had a nice July 4th today!

~Karen

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel. You have a cool (looking) cat.

Nice about the VBS. Good for kids and the teachers. And yes, I almost called our paper yesterday as we had no paper. Then I remembered that it wzs Tuesday and we aren't supposed to get the paper on Mondays and Tuesdays.
..

10:09 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Love your kitty...
And those look like sweet peas to me. They grow wild here.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter