Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Keeping Cool and Happy 4th!

Things here are HOT and DRY. I have been staying inside a lot where it's cooler. Unfortunately, just when it's sweltering outside, our HVAC decides to die. It's about 20 years old, so I guess with all this heat it just couldn't hold up anymore. It'll be Monday before they can put a new one in so, in the meantime, I went out and purchased a window unit. I am so glad I did. We are under a heat advisory and I think I, and my husband, would have had a major melt down by now without it. Our house is small, so the window unit keeps it cool enough for us to be comfortable. I had to go to 3 stores before finding one. They said they are selling out as soon as they hit the shelves, especially the smaller ones. The one I got was the only one on the shelf. I stood guard over it while I called my nephew to see if he could come and put it in the window for me. I was ready to fight anyone who tried to take it!! I know this drought and heat is reaching a lot of states, so I hope that everyone is staying cool and that things aren't too bad where you are.

Hope everyone had a wonderful, safe, and happy Independence Day!

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, My Dear....That sounds HORRIFIC!! Especially for your husband....I'm so glad you got that window AC!! I don't know how we all survived 'back in the day' without AC...I know we did---but some people didn't!

It was a quiet 4th here, which was okay with me. I'm in such a strange state of whatever, these days....My Birthday was very nice, and as much fun as it could be, under the circumstances....I'll be posting pictures, eventually. It is a very tender time, you know? What can I say.....I do the best I can and that's all I can do right now or ever, really....
I hope your dear pets are surviving the HEAT WAVE there....! It's scary that it is that hot so early in the summer.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Window units were life saving for us in the last two years record heat. Our AC went out but we were able to live in our den and bedroom area with the upper level of our house closed off until the repairman could come. Last year we had to buy a new unit. This year we had another problem and it turned out to be the chicken's fault. They had pecked through the electrical wires to our AC unit. Still surprised we didn't have some fried chicken as a result:) Glad you managed to get comfy and keep hubby cool.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I'm glad you are staying cool. I have two window AC. My big unit went out last summer. I'm almost to the place I will have a heat pump installed. But I haven't suffered. Liked your flower pictures.

1:01 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

A very Happy Independence Day! (belated...)

I am glad you are staying cool.

Thank you dear Rachel for your nice comment and compliment to my daughter. Sofia asks me to thank you very much!
Have a pleasant week ahead.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Sorry to hear about the dry , hot weather there too.
Window units can sure save the day. Stay cool.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

We bought a window unit this year for my computer room. I had one but it went wonky so I went a year and a half without it and used a fan. My choice.
There are plenty a/c units in all our stores up this way. I thought that since it is so hot they would sell out quick but I guess the stores got enough in to handle the customers.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I am sorry, Rachel. Guess I hadn't pushed the 'Publish' button for my comment. I'm more sorry for your hot situation. You guys need A/C more than the most of us. Good thinking to get a temporary unit.

Ours went out too, just when my sister from Iowa came to visit. But our A/C guy had a new one in by 7:00 pm the same day.

Stay cool now,
..

6:38 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Just stopping by to wishing you a nice weekend.
Big hug!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter